Recent reviews for McHenry, Maryland, USA
Left on 08/25/2015 for a stay in August 2015
The house met out expectations. Was clean, well maintained and very spacious too. Great place to relax after a long day outdoors
Left on 08/19/2015 for a stay in August 2015
This house was right on the lake and very nice. The large family room/ kitchen was great. Large dinning room table allowed the whole family to enjoy our meals together. You cannot beat the view of the lake. I would highly recommend this rental.
Left on 08/12/2015 for a stay in August 2015
Serene setting (in summer). Clean, comfortable. Advertised gym pass was not available, though - had expired.
Beautiful development near Wisp. Realty company easy to work with. Nice to have state park pass. Overall, as advertised
Left on 07/28/2015 for a stay in July 2015
Met our needs perfectly. What a beautiful place to come back to at the end of a long day. Our party of nine were quite comfortable. It had all the amenities we needed and was located in a beautiful wooded lot.
With its beautiful mountain scenery, great skiing, and vast state parks, McHenry, MD is the perfect four-season getaway. Step outside your vacation home and walk just minutes to Deep Creek Lake, then swim, sail, kayak, or simply relax along its shores. Enjoy panoramic views of the lake from your vacation rental's deck, the perfect place to have your morning coffee.
Looking to experience some of McHenry's water sports? Spend a day at the Adventure Sports Center International which offers a half-mile guided whitewater rafting trip that takes guests under waterfalls and through special waterways at the top of Wisp Mountain. Known as "the world's only mountaintop whitewater course," the rapids adjust to the desired level of challenge, giving guests the opportunity to raft in a "controlled" and safe environment.
Here are a few other suggested activities for your trip:
- Take a ride up the mountain: Absorb all of McHenry's natural beauty while ascending into the sky on Wisp Resort's scenic chair lift ride.
- Visit the Gordon Roberts House: This house museum draws light to the cultural and historical aspects of a typical McHenry family from the late 19th century. The museum is filled with antiques and unique paintings, with period music that plays softly in the background.
- Rent a boat: Rent a canoe or kayak and paddle around the beautiful shores of Deep Creek Lake. You can also rent some skis or bring your own and go waterskiing.
- Hike the trails: McHenry offers the best of Deep Creek Lake camping and hiking. Put on your hiking boots or rent a mountain bike in downtown McHenry, then explore the miles of trails in the area.
- Go horseback riding: Several stables around the McHenry area lessons or trail rides with experienced guide.
- Go snowshoeing or cross country skiing: When the heavy snows of winter cover the trails, head into the wilderness on a guided Deep Creek skiing, snowmobiling, or snowshoeing adventure. This is a great way to experience views of the frozen lake and encounter native wildlife.
You'll never run out of fun things to do in the McHenry area. Deep Creek spa and golfing opportunities are world class, and if you're traveling with children, there are plenty of parks, playgrounds and museums here to satisfy the most energetic visitors. The best way to experience the area is to find a secluded cabin or elegant mountain chalet close to the best Deep Creek skiing areas. While you're here, also consider scheduling a trip to nearby Swanton or Oakland into your plans.