- 3 bedrooms
- 1 bathrooms
- Sleeps 6
Description from the owner
Banksia Cottage is situated in the heart of Montacute, and all the village’s attractions, including the majestic National Trust property Montacute House, are less than 6 minutes leisurely stroll from the front door. The cottage sleeps 6 comfortably, and has been extended to provide additional, open plan living space. It is furnished to a high standard to make your stay relaxing and comfortable. With three bedrooms, plus open plan living area and separate reading room/ parents retreat, as well as separate dining room and lounge room, Banksia Cottage is ideal for families, friends or couples.
BanksiaCottage - 3 b/r cottage Montacute Somerset
Montacute, West Country, England
Additional Location Information
Banksia Cottage in Montacute is your home away from home. This fully equipped, self catering cottage offers relaxing holiday accommodation in Montacute, Somerset, one of the prettiest villages in England.
Surrounded by farmland, wooded walking trails, picturesque English countryside and some of the most charming villages and pubs in the country, you can be assured your stay will be an unforgettable holiday.
From Banksia Cottage, you can explore the beautiful English countryside on foot, bicycle or car. You can marvel at the surrounding natural beauty, delight in a dramatic coastline, enjoy traditional seaside resorts and be intrigued by the many historic attractions throughout Somerset and neighbouring counties.
-The magnificent Montacute House, which hosts a permanent exhibition from the National Portrait Gallery
-Montacute TV, Toy and Radio Museum offers a nostalgic trip back in time to memories just yearning to be re-awakened
- St Catherines Church, parts of which date back to the 12th century
- The stunningly beautiful former gatehouse to the Cluniac Priory – now a private residence
- The village pub atmosphere of the Phelips Arms
- The country hotel cuisine of the Kings Arms
Montacute is the perfect base to explore beautiful English countryside on foot, bicycle or car. Within Montacute itself and the immediate surrounds, you will be fascinated by the sights and sounds on these walks:
- Ladies Walk starts behind the school and takes you through woods where the bluebells are magnificent in April and the canopy of majestic trees leads you to the Roman Road, Hollow Lane and back down into the village (45 mins)
- St Michael’s Hill – From St Catherine’s church, follow the lane past the site of the Cluniac Priory over ancient public rights of way to the site of a Norman Castle (the terraces are still visible) and the imposing Folly built on St Michael’s by the Phelips family in 1760. The views over the Somerset Levels, Quantock and Mendip Hills and the Dorset and Wiltshire Downs are stunning (1 hour)
- For a longer walk, continue past St Michael’s Hill, around Hedgecock Hill to Ham Hill. This walk takes you through farmland and woods to the Prince of Wales hotel on Ham Hill, where you can marvel at the magnificent views of the surrounding area. Allow extra time for a meal and a pint of English ale at the pub
- Montacute House parklands and garden walks give you stunning views of this magnificent building which dates from the 16th century. The dramatic West Drive avenue, the North Garden, the East Court bounded on three sides by Ham stone walls, the historic Pudding Houses and the beautiful gardens will be memories for a lifetime.
In less than an hour visit Bath, Longleat Safari Park, Cheddar Gorge, Wells, the Wookey Hole, Glastonbury Tor & Abbey ruins, Clarks Village shopping outlet, Stourhead House & Garden, Stonehenge, Durdle Door & Lulworth Castle, Weymouth, Lyme Regis, Salisbury Cathedral, the Cerne Abbas giant, and Sherborne, with its historic Abbey.
There are so many classic English pubs offering sumptuous cuisine and real English ales and bitter within an hour's drive, you'll need a month to visit them all.
More About This Location
Last updated on February 04, 2015
Not available for your dates? Check availability for 1 other Montacute rentalsCheck Availability for Montacute
- Central heating
- Linens Provided
- Washing Machine
- Towels Provided
- Clothes Dryer
- Housekeeping Optional
Phone / Internet
- Internet Access
- Stove or Oven
- Satellite or cable TV
- DVD Player
- Outdoor Dining Area
- Pet friendly - no
- Smoking allowed - no
- Suitable for children - yes
- Suitable for the elderly - ask
- Wheelchair accessible - no