With a number of local wineries and vineyards, plenty of options for canoeing and other outdoor activities, and beautiful scenery everywhere you turn, there's something for any type of traveler in the charming town of Monte Rio, California. Go shopping at the stores scattered along Main Street, or enjoy fine dining at one of the restaurants on River Road.
While you're in Monte Rio, be sure to make time for some of these must-see attractions and activities as well:
- Upstairs Art Gallery: This gallery showcases the work of over 30 artists and has a regularly rotating lineup of exhibits.
- Go Kayaking: There are several local companies that offer canoeing and kayaking excursions down the Russian River.
- Hot Air Balloon Ride: Take a sunrise or sunset hot air balloon ride for picturesque views of the river and surrounding areas.
- Wells Fargo Center for the Arts: In addition to performances from local actors, many internationally known musicians stop here throughout the year for big-ticket performances.
- Lake Sonoma: Surrounded by a vast array of vineyards, Lake Sonoma offers great hiking and horseback riding.
- Go Whale Watching: See if you can spot a Pacific Gray whale with the special family and group tours offered throughout the area.
Monte Rio has an assortment of live music and other shows taking place almost every night of the week, but there are a few key festivals that make this town truly stand out. Watch the rodeo or sample the largest themed flower show in the U.S. during the Sonoma County Fair in July, sample beers and food from 30 local breweries and BBQ restaurants during the Beer Revival and BBQ Cook-Off in August, or take in some of the world's best bluegrass during the Sonoma County Bluegrass and Folk Festival in January.
There is a wide range of condos to choose from for your vacation in Monte Rio. Whether you want to be right next to the Russian River, near the major dining and shopping options in the area, or on the outskirts of town, there's a vacation rental that will put you exactly where you want to be for your stay in Monte Rio.
If you have some extra time, head up Highway 1 to explore the nearby historical attractions of Fort Ross, Kruse Rhododendron State Park, or the vast redwood forests of Jenner.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.