The small town of Montecito lies on a breathtaking stretch of California's central coast on the outskirts of Santa Barbara. The winding coastal roads and beautiful scenic overlooks here give way to inland farms and vineyards, Spanish inspired ranches, and the kind of sagebrush countryside that makes for an unforgettable vacation destination.
Come to Montecito to visit the old Spanish missions built by early settlers, some of which are now museums. Explore the vistas of Romero Canyon and the Santa Ynez valley. Take a sea kayaking eco-tour along the coast or visit the local zoo or botanical garden to learn more about the native plant and animal life in this area.
After the sun goes down, head into town to experience the world-class restaurants of the central coast and taste the offerings of some of the richest and most diverse farmland in the country. Some of the oldest and most established organic farms in central California are located right here, and these farms supply the kitchens of Montecito's award winning chefs.
Here are a few additional suggestions for your visit:
- Explore the canyons: Hike the Hot Springs Trail to a majestic Santa Barbara overlook, go horseback riding or take a bike ride through Montecito's Romero Canyon.
- Go shopping: Stroll along the charming and elegant Coast Village Road, considered one of the best shopping districts in Montecito.
- Take a culinary and winery tour: A winery tour is a wonderful way to experience the true beauty and rolling vineyards of the Monterey Peninsula and the California countryside.
- Experience live music: Enjoy live music and other entertainment in Alameda and Chase Palm Park in Santa Barbara.
- Meet the ostriches: Visit the popular Ostrich Land in nearby Buellton and have face-to-face encounters with friendly ostriches and emus.
- Visit the museums: There are several great places in Montecito to learn about local history. Start with the Carriage and Western Art Museum.
Like most of southern California, Montecito is beautiful all year round and draws visitors from all over the world. But as popular as it is, it's still always easy to find a perfect vacation rental here. Rent a luxury condo downtown close the restaurants, live music and nightlife or find an elegant beach house with beautiful views of the ocean. While you're visiting Montecito, consider taking a short trip south to San Diego or head north to San Francisco.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.