With lots of old world charm in the midst of a cosmopolitan and vibrant city, Montpellier has a perfect mix of historical and modern that makes for an unforgettable vacation spot. Go bargain hunting at the shops throughout La Comedie, admire the architecture at Place de la Prefecture, or explore the tents selling locally made products along the Esplanade. There are plenty of other historical and cultural attractions throughout Montpellier too.
Here are just a few of the must-see sights to explore during your vacation here:
- Montpellier Zoo: Look at the lions and bears outside, or head inside for the vast replica of an Amazon forest.
- Esplanade: This popular walking attraction is lined with shady trees and pleasant outdoor restaurants, in addition to a variety of stands selling clothing and locally made goods.
- Faculty of Medicine: Established in the 12th century, this is the oldest medical school in the world still in operation.
- Place de la Comedie: Located right in the middle of Montpellier, Place de la Comedie is considered to be the heart of the city. Check out the lined streets full of cafes and boutiques, in addition to the opera house and Three Graces statue.
- Montpellier Arc de Triomphe: If you can't make it to Paris during your stay, visit Montepellier's replica of the Parisian landmark.
In addition to evening entertainment options including live music and a wide range of professional sports team that play for Montpellier year-round, the city also hosts one of the biggest musical events in France every year. If you visit in August, enjoy the over 150 events at the Festival de Radio France et Montpellier that include live classical music performances, films and discussion forums.
Whether you want to be near the modern amenities of downtown or the historical charm of the Esplanade, there's a vacation rental available that's perfect for you in Montpellier. There are rentals ranging from luxury condos with high-end amenities, to majestic villas with sweeping city views from your window.
Montpellier has a comprehensive bus and tram system that's inexpensive and will get you anywhere you'd like to go in the city. In addition, there are plenty of other areas in the Southwestern region of France that serve as great day trips. The wooded mountains of Cevennes, the charming village of Cirque de Navacelles, and the river valleys of Le Sidobre can all be reached within an hour journey by car.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.