A patchwork of sinful gambling, swaying cactuses, sleepy ghost towns and powerful natural beauty, there's much more to Nevada than meets the eye. The vast majority of the population is concentrated in the cities of Reno and Las Vegas, with eighty percent of the state covered in a wonderland of arid deserts, blood-red canyons and glistening alpine lakes. Nevada is also home to the Burning Man Festival, one of the world's largest celebrations of art, music, lifestyle and alternative community.
If you're heading to Nevada, check out these top attractions:
- Las Vegas: Flashing lights, casino gambling, glitz, glamor and easy living define Sin City. Time seems to stand still when you're here, with round-the-clock action that lets you dictate the pace of your trip. Many of the most famous and best-loved Nevada tourist attractions are also in Vegas.
- Lake Tahoe: Famed for its never-ending sunny days and abundance of activities throughout the year, you could easily spend your whole Nevada vacation in Lake Tahoe. Straddling the Nevada-California border, Tahoe is unique in that it hosts world-class sporting venues for both summer and winter recreation. Some of the best ski spots in North America are here.
- Reno: If the hustle and bustle of Vegas is a bit too much, come to "the biggest little city in the world," Reno. It has all the casino and entertainment action of Sin City, but in a much more manageable package.
- Great Basin National Park: One of the most famous Nevada National Parks, the Great Basin National Park is dry and mountainous. The rugged terrain has a sharp range of high and low elevations, and the stark yet picturesque scenery is truly unique to Nevada.
- Lake Mead National Recreation Area: Located in the southern part of the state near the Arizona border, Lake Mead National Recreation Area is home to the famous Hoover Dam.
Avoid the crowded, noisy hotels in Las Vegas and throughout the state's gambling hotspots by staying in a vacation rental instead. Getting a fully furnished condo, short-term rental home or apartment rental is easy, convenient and affordable.
Nevada is perfectly located to facilitate further exploration of the American southwest. Arizona and California border it, with Los Angeles being just a short four-hour drive from downtown Las Vegas.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.