Old Rectory House

From $6,233 / week



Hide Property Details Description from the manager

  • 5 bedrooms
  • 5 bathrooms
  • Sleeps 10
  • House

Bedrooms: 5

Bathrooms: 5

Sleeps: 10

Type: House

Old Rectory House

The Old Rectory House is a Georgian country house offering luxurious group accommodation near Swaffham. Built circa 1750, the family home and guest house are situated in an exceptional and idyllic rural position with an outstanding view of the lake. The property is near to Oxburgh Hall, a National Trust property with historic parkland.

The Coach House and former stable block lie to the northwest of the main house. Guests can enjoy a relaxing stay in this traditional accommodation only a stones throw from the main house. All rooms are individually decorated, offering views of the stables and a small orchard. This is an ideal quiet country retreat.

Leisure ...Read more

About the manager

Oliver's Travels

  • Response rate n/a
  • Response time n/a
  • Calendar updated today
  • Overall rating
    4.5 / 5.0 based on 32 reviews and 2,037 properties

Map

Old Rectory House
Oxborough, East of England, England

Restaurant Icon Restaurants Attraction Icon Attractions Property Icon Nearby Rentals

Additional Location Information

The Old Rectory House is situated in a tiny village located in the middle of a triangle with the corners of Swaffham, Downham Market and Thetford.
It is one of the most fascinating villages in Norfolk and is a great base for exploring the lesser known western part of the county. There are two linked sites in the village that draw visitors from far and wide. The first is Oxburgh Hall, home to the Bedingfield family since it was built in 1482 and still a residence half a millennium later. This elaborate Tudor manor house encapsulates so much of that era in its building and setting: a square moat and a huge and ostentatious gatehouse seven stories high.  It shouts of the wealth and power of those who built it. Although the interior is much changed and largely Victorian, it contains needlework by two of the great women of the age, Bess of Hardwick and Mary Queen of Scots. It is also reputed to contain the ghost of a Spanish woman who disappeared in mysterious circumstances in the 16th century.
The second great site is St John’s Church, famous for the collapse of its spire in 1948. There is much evidence in the church that the Bedingfields stuck to the old faith: the intricate decoration shows they were able to protect the place through the worst Reformation and Puritan excesses. There is a third place in the village, again linked to the Bedingfields, known as The Bedingfield Arms or also known as the Bedingfield Coach-house for its old use. Guests can visit the village pub for accommodations.
In the vicinity of the village, there is plenty to occupy those on a longer stay. Cockley Cley has a wonderful Saxon Church. Just a mile or so east there is a reconstructed Iceni village. Both Downham Market and Swaffham (enjoying some TV fame as a setting in the series 'Kingdom') are well worth visiting.

Availability

Amenities

Reviews (0)