About Daufuskie Island
With some of the best traditional southern restaurants in South Carolina, an endless array of pristine beaches, and overwhelmingly friendly locals, Daufuskie Island has all the ingredients for a relaxing and tranquil getaway. Stroll by all the waterfront homes in the Historic District, take in the beautiful views coming from Bloody Point, or explore the trendy restaurants throughout Oak Ridge. There's something to do here no wherever you end up going on the island.
Here are just a few of the must-see attractions and activities:
- Go Fishing: Charter a boat for a day or simply rent equipment from one of several shops throughout the area.
- Speed Boat Rides: With top speeds of over 75 MPH, this is one action-packed experience you won't soon forget.
- Nature Tours: Several local companies offer tours through the Low Country waters to get you up close to the wide range of birds and wild Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphins.
- Go Horseback Riding: In addition to guided beach and carriage rides, you can also learn to ride a horse yourself at the local stables that offer lessons and trail rides throughout the area.
- Go to the Beach: Over three miles of unspoiled beaches await you on the island.
- Try the Local Cuisine: The Old Daufuskie Company is known as the best restaurant in the area to sample authentic Gullah cooking.
With close proximity to both Hilton Head and the city of Savannah in Georgia, Daufuskie Island is just a short drive from a slew of some of the biggest festivals in the region. Watch celebrities from TV and film compete in the Hilton Head Celebrity Golf Tournament in September, listen to live jazz while sampling dishes from some of the best restaurants in South Carolina during the Seafood, Jazz and Brew Festival in September, or cheer on the hundreds of runners of all ages participating in the Hilton Head Half Island Marathon in February.
A vacation rental is the preferred option for those staying on Daufuskie Island. With condos throughout town that are near all the beaches and dining options in the area, there's no shortage of great properties to choose from for your vacation.
Daufuskie Island is within a relatively short drive from some of the biggest attractions in the South, making it a great base to explore the rest of what the region has to offer. Enjoy the friendly southern hospitality of Hilton Head or the historic attractions and beautiful architecture of Savannah, both of which are located less than 90 minutes away by car.