- Avon View all rentals (135)
- Salvo View all rentals (119)
- Rodanthe View all rentals (85)
- Hatteras View all rentals (169)
- Waves View all rentals (95)
- Frisco View all rentals (26)
- Buxton View all rentals (13)
Rentals Near Hatteras Island Attractions
Featured Hatteras Island Properties
About Hatteras Island
The Atlantic crashes into shores strewn with beautiful lighthouses, and miles of sand dunes in Hatteras Island and the surrounding areas of Avon, Rodanthe, and Salvo. Walk just minutes from your vacation home to the beach where you can spend your days swimming, sailing, and lounging on the sand. Hatteras Island is also home to a number of great beaches, like Frisco Beach, that are perfect for surfing. Those looking to return with the perfect seashell souvenir should head to Cape Hatteras National Seashore, a preserve that is home to a beautiful untouched stretch of seashore along the Atlantic coast. Look for sea turtles nestled in the sand, fish, or simply relax in the area's serenity. Explore the rest of the region by travel down the Outer Banks Scenic Highway, which meanders through Avon, Frisco, and Hatteras Village. At the end of a busy day, retreat back to your home away from home and enjoy the peace, quiet, and beauty of the North Carolina coast from your rental's front porch or back patio.
Here are a few additional suggestions:
- Visit the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse: This lighthouse is open throughout the year and can be seen over 20-miles out to sea, serving as a beacon that has guided sailors for over 100 years. The light warns sailors of the dangerous Diamond Shoals, the shallow sandbars that reach out over 14 miles into the ocean off of the shore.
- Visit the Wright Brothers Memorial: Visit this famous Outer Banks memorial dedicated to the Wright brothers and their experiments at Kitty Hawk.
- Hike the island trails: Hatteras Island campground areas and hiking trails offer beautiful views of the Atlantic Ocean and the Outer Banks coastline.
- Go on a wild pony safari: Centuries ago, ships carrying horses occasionally sank or ran aground in the waters off the Carolina shores. Their surviving descendants now roam wild on the islands of the Outer Banks.
- Take a surfing lesson: There are plenty of excellent surf schools around Hatteras with patient instructors who can help you hit the waves.
- Go fishing: Take a charter tour into the deep waters of the Atlantic or head to the inland streams and waterways for world class fly fishing.
Experience the beauty of Hatteras from the privacy of your own luxury vacation rental. A rental home just a few steps from the beach can be a perfect place to relax in style. Find an elegant beach rental, a villa overlooking the rocky coast, or a charming downtown vacation home with all the amenities you need to host your family and friends for Hatteras Island weddings or family reunions. While you're in Hatteras, consider day trips to Duck or Myrtle Beach, both just a short drive away.