Featured Oakland Properties
5 BR / 4 BA / Sleeps 14Details
- Min stay varies
3 BR / 2 BA / Sleeps 8Details
- Min stay varies
Located in the beautiful mountains of western Maryland, Oakland is the perfect woodland escape. Be the first to see the sun hit the green hills from your vacation home's bedroom balcony, then walk just minutes to Deep Creek Lake, perfect for boating, tubing, hiking, and swimming. Feel free to bring the water skis and kayak as there is plenty of space inside your vacation rental to store your equipment. While you are here, spend a day at Swallow Falls State Park, home to some of Maryland's most beautiful natural scenery. Hike along trails with panoramic views of rocky gorges, flowing rapids, and Muddy Creek Falls, a thrashing 53-foot waterfall. The park offers a large picnic area with a pavilion and playground, as well as nature programs, boat rentals, and a beach for swimming during the summer.
Here are a few additional suggestions of things to do in the area:
- Visit Maryland's Historic B&O Train Station: This authentic 1884 train station has been restored to its original Queen Anne condition. The train speaks to Oakland's old, small town feel and adjoins a shop that sells baked goods, candles and maple syrup.
- See a show at Our Town Theatre: This little production company offers great local and imported talent. Be sure to check the current schedule while visiting, and catch great comedies, dramas, and more.
- Visit the county's Historical Society Museum: Like the train station, the historical museum is a great place to learn about the area's history and get a feel for small town life in another era.
- Play golf: Champion caliber Deep Creek golf courses offer some of the best greens in the state. After a day of golf, spend an afternoon indulging in a pedicure at a luxury Deep Creek spa.
- Go horseback riding: Several private stables in the state park area offer one-on-one lessons or trail rides with a friendly knowledgeable guide.
- Experience Deep Creek skiing: In the winter, Deep Creek offers pristine, powdery trails perfect for both cross country and downhill skiing.
Experience the best of Oakland and the Deep Creek Lake area by staying in your own private luxury vacation rental. A trendy winter condo or summer apartment rental may be perfect for a long weekend getaway with friends. You may also decide to host your family and friends for a barbeque at your lakeside vacation home or mountain cabin. While you're visiting Oakland, make the most of your stay by scheduling a visit to nearby Swanton or McHenry.