Rentals Near Portland Attractions
Featured Portland Properties
- 7 nights min
- 3 nights min
- Min stay varies
- 3 nights min
Portland is a quaint New England city located on the southern edge of the Casco Bay inlet, which runs from Cape Small to Cape Elizabeth. The Portland area is steeped in American history, as Casco Bay has been home to European settlers since 1623.
Today, Portland is the largest city in Maine, with a pronounced maritime feel befitting of its long and colorful past. Visit the city's central core as well as the busy waterfront and the quaint Old Port district, lined with narrow cobblestone streets and charming pubs and restaurants.
Other popular attractions and activities include:
- Eastern and Western Promenades: Enjoy spectacular views of Casco Bay and take in the splendor of the city's oldest and finest neighborhoods.
- Victoria Mansion: Considered one of the most sublime surviving examples of pre-Civil War-era residential architecture in America, this stately manor is a must-see.
- Go fishing: Portland offers many angling opportunities, for both deep-sea and freshwater fishing enthusiasts.
- Take a hike: Some of New England's most spectacular scenery lies just outside Portland, making for excellent hiking and camping.
- Portland Head Light and Museum: Open year-round, with free access to the grounds, the Portland Head Light and Museum is considered one of the most scenic lighthouses in the United States.
While the city is home to a complete range of major hotel chains as well as independently owned establishments and bed-and-breakfasts, the advantages of staying in condo or apartment style vacation rental should not be overlooked. These accommodations offer more privacy and more room, and include amenities like fully equipped kitchens and comfortable living rooms that make them feel like home.
The city is alive with activity during the warm-weather months, particularly in late spring and summer. If you visit Portland during the autumn, you'll be treated to some of the most brilliant displays of fall foliage anywhere in the world.
Nearby Cape Elizabeth makes a perfect day trip if you want to enjoy some beaches or see some of the region's other lighthouses. Old Orchard Beach is a resort town worth a visit if you're in the area during the summer, and to the north of the city, you'll find scenic Mackworth Island if you're in the mood for the outdoors.