Featured Truckee Properties
3 BR / 3 BA / Sleeps 13Details
- Min stay varies
Nestled within the Tahoe National Forest, Truckee is a lovely mountain town and a great home base for an outdoorsy vacation. A stop on the old railroad, Truckee was founded as a lumber town in the 19th century. While it still maintains a bit of its original character as a Western outpost, Truckee is now a well-known gateway to the Lake Tahoe region. The historic buildings in Truckee's downtown are filled with cafes, boutiques, and brewpubs. Truckee can be a great stopover on your way to Lake Tahoe, CA, as well as a destination in its own right.
In the summer months, Truckee is a big destination for white water adventures along the Truckee River. There are numerous tour operators in town that will organize a guided rafting tour down the rapids. Truckee is also an excellent jumping off point for exploring the surrounding Sierra Nevada Mountains. Just outside of town, the beautiful Donner Memorial State Park offers miles of scenic trails through clean alpine scenery. For boating, swimming, and water sports, Donner Lake offers a smaller and more low-key alternative to Lake Tahoe. West End Beach is Donner Lake's most popular hangout, with sandy shores, picnic areas, and swimming. For golfers, Truckee offers nine golf courses, as well as access to numerous additional courses in the Lake Tahoe area.
In the winter, Truckee is perfectly situated close to many major Tahoe ski resorts and some of the nicest alpine scenery in California. If you are interested in heading into the wilderness on a snowmobile or a pair of cross-country ski, Truckee's tour operators can set that up, too. Head home to Truckee after a day on the slopes to enjoy great food and a low-key atmosphere.
If you are planning a trip to Truckee, check out the following sights:
- Donner Lake: Spend a day in the sun around this freshwater alpine lake surrounded by sand coves and hiking trails.
- Emigrant Trail Museum: Learn the history of the ill-fated Donner Party, a wagon train that was unexpectedly trapped by a snowstorm over Emigrant Pass.
- Donner Ski Ranch: Learn to ski or snowboard at this small and friendly winter resort, great for beginners and families.
- Sugar Bowl: Hit the slopes at this large, family-friendly ski resort near Donner Pass.
- Kid Zone Museum: Take the family to this interactive museum for children, or sign up the kids for summer camp, craft nights, and classes.
- Stampede Dam: Just seven miles north of the city, the Stampede Dam and Reservoir is a top destination for fishing.
For a relaxing summer retreat or a snowy winter getaway, seek out a vacation rental in Truckee, California. During the winter, a cozy cabin is the perfect place to unwind after a day on the slopes. In the summer, find a comfortable condo that will put you close to Donner Lake and the surrounding wilderness.