Featured Whitefish Properties
1 / 18
1 BR / 1 BA / Sleeps 4
- 2 night min
1 / 12
2 BR / 2 BA / Sleeps 6
- Min stay varies
Nestled within the gorgeous wilderness of central Montana, Whitefish is a year-round destination for outdoor sports and adventure. Founded at the beginning of the 20th century, this charming western town was once an outpost on the Great Northern Railway. Today, the architecture and atmosphere downtown still retain a distinctly western feeling, though most of Whitefish's oldest buildings now hold contemporary shops, restaurants, and galleries.
For outdoor enthusiasts, Whitefish is an ideal destination. A gateway to Montana's phenomenal Glacier National Park, you can see snow-capped peaks rising over the city center. Even within the town, it is not uncommon to spot elk, eagles, and moose! During the winter months, Whitefish is repeatedly doused in powdery snow. Locals and visitors flock to Whitefish Mountain Resort, where they can ski trails along Big Mountain. In addition to downhill skiing and snowboarding, Whitefish offers winter sports like sledding, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, ice hockey, and snow-shoeing. For a truly unique experience, sign up for a dog-sledding tour through the winter woods.
In the summer, Whitefish has a mild and sunny climate, perfect for mountain adventures. From Whitefish, it is easy to plan a white-water rafting adventure with the family or head out for a day of fly fishing at a nearby stream. For golfers, there are several championship golf courses in the region, many with views of the snow-topped Rocky Mountains from the green. For a true Montana experience, spend the day horseback riding at a local ranch. In the evenings, take in a show by the local Alpine Theater Project or buy tickets for a music event at O'Shaughnessy Center.
If you are planning to visit Whitefish, don't miss:
- Whitefish Mountain Resort: Enjoy powdery snow and long runs at this huge and unpretentious ski resort on Big Mountain, just above the town of Whitefish.
- Round Meadows: Located in the Flathead National Forest, this cross-country ski park is a wonderful place to enjoy nature and get some exercise.
- Glacier National Park: Known as one of the most beautiful and remote regions in the United States, Glacier encompasses 1,600 square miles of pristine wilderness in the upper Rocky Mountains.
- Blanchard Lake: Spend a leisurely day fishing or boating at Blanchard Lake, just outside the town of Whitefish.
- Flathead River: Head to the north fork of the Flathead River for great fly fishing.
No matter what time of year you plan to visit Whitefish, you'll enjoy your experience all the more with a vacation rental in town. During the winter months, there is nothing like finishing off your day on the slopes with a hot chocolate in your cozy cabin or comfortable condo in the woods. For a relaxing summer getaway, seek out a spacious villa or ranch house, where you can enjoy the starlit nights of big sky country.