Lying less than 70 miles from the Arizona border on the coast of the Sea of Cortez in Northern Mexico, Rocky Point is sometimes called "Arizona's beach". Also known as Puerto Penasco, Rocky Point still feels tropical and remote even though it's easily accessible. Many people come here to escape from cold winters further north. They spend a few days or weeks basking on the beach, relaxing in a luxury spa, or exploring the quaint shopping areas of this once-remote fishing village.
Come here to snorkel in the clear waters of the sea of Cortez and go parasailing along the coast. And after the sun goes down, sample traditional Mexican cuisine at some of the best award winning restaurants in Sonora.
Here are a few additional suggestions as you plan your trip:
- Go sea kayaking: Rent a sea kayak from the harbor marina and experience the estuaries and marine eco-systems around Rocky Point. You can also take a guided excursion and learn more about the native plants and animals along the coast.
- Play on the beach: Relax and soak up the sun on the pristine golden sand of beautiful Playa Bonita Beach. Swim, surf, or just bring a good book and relax.
- Take a charter fishing trip: Take a deep sea fishing excursion from the harbor of Puerto Penasco to follow the big game species of the Sea of Cortez.
- Play a round of golf: Tee off on the emerald green, beautifully manicured golf courses around the area. Las Palomas is a popular place to start.
- Go scuba diving or snorkeling: Explore the dazzling variety of marine life that inhabit the Sea of Cortez and the coastal areas of northern Mexico. Have face-to-face encounters with colorful fish and sea turtles.
- Enjoy the nightlife: Watch the sunset and then sample some of the excellent restaurants, live music and energetic night spots close to Sandy Beach and Rocky Point.
For your stay in Puerto Penasco, find a sleek condo just a few steps from the beach or book a luxury villa close to the popular nightspots and the Cholla Mall. There are also plenty of beautiful and affordable vacation rental opportunities overlooking Playa Bonita and the blue waters of Sandy Beach. While you're visiting Puerto Penasco, you may want to include trips to nearby De Marua and La Choya in your plans.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.