Situated in the San Francisco Bay area, San Jose, California is known as the "Capital of Silicon Valley." Downtown San Jose provides visitors with world-class shops, restaurants, and cultural institutions. The picturesque mountain setting and various parks within the city offer plenty of space for a number of outdoor activities, including hiking, golfing, skating, swimming, boating, camping and tennis.
Be sure to make time for some of these must see attractions:
- Children's Discovery Museum: With two floors of activities and exhibits, this museum is a great family-friendly activity. It is also a great place for picnics.
- Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum: This museum brings ancient Egypt stateside with a variety of exhibits and artifacts as well as a full-scale replica of a temple.
- Happy Hollow Park and Zoo: With rides, playgrounds, animals and attractions, this space is educational and tons of fun.
- San Jose Repertory Theater: Great performances and a location in the center of the city make this destination ideal for everyone who enjoys live theater.
- San Jose Municipal Golf Course: This course is an affordable place for those just starting out in the sport and regular players looking to practice.
- San Jose Institute of Contemporary Art: Unique exhibitions and programs dedicated to modern art in every form can be found at this contemporary museum.
When you are ready to hit the hay, there are a number of great places to stay. From an apartment or condo located downtown to a mountainside villa with exquisite views of the valley, there is a vacation rental here that can accommodate any group size and traveler budget.
The region experiences typically mild seasonal weather year-round, making anytime a good time for a visit. There are a number of annual events you will not want to miss, including the Spring Style Show in April, the Comcast Jazz Festival in August, and the Mountain View Art & Wine Festival in September. If you have some extra time and would like to take a day trip outside of San Jose, be sure to check out the neighboring towns of Fremont and Stanford.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.