Travelers from all over the world come to Shanghai to experience a creative, brilliant and tireless cultural explosion. The restaurants here are world class and the spas, shopping, live performances, and architecture of Shanghai set the bar for cities around the globe.
Museums in Shanghai can also provide a sense of the city's extraordinary artistic and cultural landscape. Visit the Shanghai Museum, or Shanghai Bowuguan, for extensive exhibits of bronzes, furniture, sculpture and jade pieces from the Ming and Qing Dynasties. If you're traveling with children, you may want to explore the Shanghai Science and Technology Museum where you can experience hands-on interactive displays and learn more about science and China's natural history.
In the evening, this tireless city lights up with glamorous energetic nightspots and unforgettable restaurants and live music venues.
Here are few additional things to do during your stay in Shanghai:
- Take a bicycle tour: There's no better way to get an overall sense of the life and culture of Shanghai. Schedule a tour of the city, the surrounding countryside, or both.
- Go shopping: Explore the open-air markets, warehouses, and retail venues of Shanghai. Not only will you find some great merchandise, you may also learn how to bargain and have some fascinating conversations with local people.
- See a show: See the brilliant live acrobatic performance of Shanghai Circus World at the Acrobatic Dome and watch human bodies gracefully accomplish the impossible.
- Take a cooking class: Once you've experienced the culinary treasures of Shanghai's world class restaurants, you may want to take a class and learn how to bring these traditional flavors home with you.
- See Shanghai from above: There are several popular observation decks and high points around the city where visitors can view the majestic skyline and ant-like activity far below. Try the Jin Mao Tower or the Shanghai World Financial Center.
- Visit the Garden of Contentment: Also called the Yu Yuan Garden, this five acre peaceful sanctuary includes rock gardens, a flower pavilion and a lotus pool.
You'll have no trouble finding activities and sites to keep you busy in Shanghai. You'll also have no trouble finding a perfect place to stay while you're here. Book a sleek condo or elegant vacation rental in the bustling heart of the city, or rent an apartment at the top of a tower where you can watch the city lights illuminate the night sky. You may also want to find a quiet villa in the surrounding countryside beyond the busy city limits.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.