Casa Lavanda - Holiday house near Prahova Valley
From $34 / night
Description from the owner
Description from the owner
2 bedrooms holiday house in Brebu, Casa Lavanda - the perfect place for spending a beautiful holiday in a quiet romanian village, close to the touristic Prahova Valley – easily accessible by an asphalted road, 10 min from Campina. The place is ideal for realxing or making sports in the heart of nature, for long weekends away from city noise, for summer days in the beautiful garden or for winter evenings near the fireplace.
One day trip from Casa Lavanda can include beautiful places like Bran – Dracula’s Castle, Rasnov Fortress, Old city of Brasov, Peles Royal Castle and Monastery in Sinaia, National Park Bucegi, Slanic Prahva Salt Mine ...Read more
About the owner
About the owner
- Response rate: 95%
- Response time: A few hours
- Calendar updated: 6 weeks ago
Additional Location Information
The territory of Prahova county has been inhabited since time immemorial, this being attested by archaeological findings in several localities such as Ploiesti, Ciorani, Mizil. Administrative and economic development was determined by the geographical position at the crossroads of major routes connecting Wallachia, Transylvania and Moldavia, as well as by the riches of the subsoil and the diversity and beauty of the physical features.
The events that marked the history of Prahova county were the development of trade and the exploitation and processing of natural resources, of which crude played a distinct part. In 1857 there was commissioned the world's first refinery – the Mehedinteanu Refinery; consequently, as shown in the Science of Petroleum Encyclopaedic English Book – 1938, Romania became the first country in the world to record, in official documents, in 1857 a production of 275 tons of crude.
The varied relief as an amphitheater consists equally in mountains, hills and plains. The capital city is Ploiesti, with its about 300,000 inhabitants, situated 60 km North far from Bucharest and 40 km far from Otopeni international airport. The tourism is a main activity in this county. Being named the most wonderful region of the Carpathians, the Prahova Valley with its resorts (Sinaia, Azuga, Busteni, Breaza) is an interesting region both for tourists and investors. Also, the Teleajen Valley, Doftana Valley and the Slanic Valley complete the tourist potential of this county. Each resort is very characteristic and has accommodation and curing facilities. Sinaia, "the Fine Pearls of Carpathians", is 1,000 m above sea level. The main point of interest is the Peles Castle, built at the end of the XIX-th century in a Germanic Style. It has 160 rooms and valuable collections of art, arms and furniture. The Sinaia Monastery, built in 1695-1796 in a Brancoveanu's style is a valuable museum of manuscripts and art. Busteni resort is situated on the Prahova Valley, 135 km far from Bucharest, between the Caraiman (2284 m above sea level) and Costila (2489 m above sea level) Peaks. Azuga, situated on the national road 15 km far from Busteni, is known since the XIII-th century as a spa with mineral waters. Valenii de Munte is situated on the Teleajen Valley and surrounded by hills covered by forests and pastures. It is known thanks to the "Nicolae Iorga" Summer University which gathers scientists from Romanian and abroad. Slanic, situated on the Slanic Valley, 400 m above sea level, is known for the therapy with aerosols and heliotherapy inside the salt mine which is the biggest one in Europe. Other interesting places are: the Salt Mountain (100 m in high, natural reservation), the Salt Drift (14 km long and unique as to its configuration), the Piatra Verde Peak, 4 km far from the town and offering a wonderful landscape.
Brebu Monastery is one of the few medieval monuments in our country that have been so well preserved. The complex includes the church and the village of the monastery, royal houses, tower, walls, cells and annexes and is one of the most important architectural monuments of Prince Matei Basarab.
The date the monastery was built is still uncertain, but it was for sure before the year 1640, when a document of a religious ruler mentioned the name of this settlement. So in this act, and in one of next years, it is specified that the church was founded by the Prince. However, the inscription at the entrance of the narthex writes that the work of building the church began in 7158, ie 1650. But some experts believe this is the year the works were completed, which lasted so many years because of the war with Vasile Lupu and the Seimeni revolt.
Matei Basarab was sure to endow the monastery Brebu with everything needed – estates, land and people to help with household chores. But the works were not ready by the end of the reign of Basarab, although great efforts were made to achieve this.
Constantin Brancoveanu found the monastery in an advanced state of decay, but he took care to resurrect it. According to documents of 1689 and 1690, the Prince reconfirmed the privileges the monastery had and villagers were exempt from taxes to finish the work and murals. All these were only for some people, who were given the task of taking care of the buildings around the church. This was when the village was divided into two localities, namely Brebu Megiesesc and Brebu Monastery. Dividing the village in two did not help the residents, who lived in permanent conflict, so the monastery began to collapse. The earthquake of 1802 affected it to a very large extent – the towers collapsed, the walls were crumbling and the upper entrance was demolished because of the cracking tower. Although some works have been carried out between 1828-1836 the earthquake of 1838 was also a devastating one.
Brebu Monastery recovered hardly after these events and in the nineteenth century it began operating a truly impressive library. It belonged to the Archimandrite Gennady Parvulescu and contained a large collection of books and ancient manuscripts. Unfortunately, they were completely burned in the fire of 1855, when the cells burnt as well.
The secularization monastic wealth was not too mild either – the monastery was dissolved and the church was transformed into a simple one. All property and assets were taken by the Eforia Civil Hospital, or auctioned. The royal house came into possession of this institution and transformed it successively into a holiday home for students, the asylum of the “Lady Helen” sanatorium, home for the elderly and museum.
Over time, Brebu Monastery received some reconsolidation and restoration works, but the biggest were made between 1955 and 1960. Then they restored the stone towers, demolished the old cells and built new ones. The church was closed and the entire complex was turned into a museum of medieval art history. Just a year after the work was completed, a devastating fire broke out. Other repairs were needed, which gave the monastery the appearance of the eighteenth century. This can be seen at present.
More About This Location
Mountain nearby, Rural retreats
Car is not necessary