Antico Casale Holiday House in the Hills of Tuscany
From $105 / night
Description from the owner
Description from the owner
The “Antico Casale”, Holiday House located in Valiano di Montepulciano (SI) is a fine farmhouse situated in a quiet and panoramic area that overlooks the splendid Valdichiana.
The structure consists of an ancient farmhouse of 1788, now completely renovated and restored to its former glory, provided with all the modern comforts. Restructuring works have left unchanged its original design with typical Tuscan arches and vaults in beams and red bricks. The house has seven delicious apartments (one equipped for disabled) all furnished with care and elegance, each with bathroom and kitchen fitted out with autonomous oven and refrigerator, LCD TV ...Read more
About the owner
About the owner
- Response rate: 90%
- Response time: Within 2 days
- Calendar updated: 5 months ago
5.0 / 5.0
Antico Casale Holiday House in the Hills of Tuscany Valiano, Tuscany, Italy
Additional Location Information
The house has seven delicious apartments (one equipped for disabled) all furnished with care and elegance, each with private bathroom and kitchen with autonomous oven and fridge, LCD TV satellite, gas heating, air conditioning, fireplace wood, Linens and utensils of all kinds.The Antico Casale in Valiano is 350 meters away from the village of Valiano (with all kinds of shops) fraction of Montepulciano, easily reachable by car: highway hub of Chiusi Chianciano A1-(21 km) for those coming from South and the A1 highway junction Sinalunga / Bettole (km. 12).
You can find us in a very good place to visit, along the "Roads of Vino Nobile," centres of Montepulciano (10 km), Cortona (18 km), Sinalunga (22 km), Pienza (16 km) e S. Quirico d’Orcia (23 km), and also the nearby cities of art Siena (67 km), Arezzo (49 km), Perugia (51 km) and Florence (110 km) and known spas of Montepulciano (10 km), Chianciano Terme (10 km), Bagno Vignoni (24 km) and Rapolano (40 km).
Walking through the "Streets of Vino Nobile", which wind through the territory of the Municipality of Montepulciano, you’ll arrive at Castle Valiano. The area of this ancient Medieval feud, nestled between Montepulciano, Cortona and Lake Trasimeno, is characterized by sweet and sinuous hills rich in vineyards, olive trees and forests and is crossed after Reglia and Granducale Channel Master della Chiana. The historic core of Valiano is 330 metres above sea level at the centre of the municipality, from 1774 annexed to that of Montepulciano. The village of the Castle still retains the essential characteristics typical of Architecture with its medieval walls, embankments, buttresses, towers corner and the narrow alleys here called "wrinkles", which are almost lived to underline the now its millennial history.
Castle Valiano in the thirteenth century
Valiano, historic castle dating back to 1100, is situated on a verdant hill of sandstone, deep in a picturesque Tuscan landscape made of vines and olive trees. Even today, you read the footprints left by Etruscan and Roman civilizations in the archaeological and in his name given by the "gens valia." Built on the strategic crossing between the Valdichiana Senese and Aretina, throughout the Middle Ages was always contended by the nearby cities of feudal Perugia, Cortona, Siena, Florence and Montepulciano. In 1427 he accepted the annexation in Florence under the Vicariate of Montepulciano always enjoying special municipal autonomy until leopoldine reforms of 1774. The important and fruitful work of reclamation in Val di Chiana undertaken since 1500 did grow Valiano anagraficamente and economically making it famous for the historic work of hydraulic engineering, "Callone" and the legendary "Bridge" on Channel Master della Chiana. It is said that Hannibal, in descending from Valdarno with his armies, crossed it to go back to defeat the Roman legions in the historic and legendary battle of Lake Trasimeno
Church of St. Lorenzo Martyr
Located inside the historic centre of the castle of Valiano of Montepulciano. Its origins date back to XII °, a period when it was built Valiano, fortified castle on a hill overlooking the Valdichiana Siena-Arezzo, located on the provincial Lauretana connecting Montepulciano to Cortona. The feud valianese, given its important position on the Valdichiana, was disputed for centuries from Perugia, Orvieto, Arezzo and Siena; submitted voluntarily in Florence in 1427 remained free municipality until 1774, when the Grand Duke Peter Leopold had him gather Montepulciano. Today of the ancient castle remains an imposing round tower, the foundations of other three towers, the former town hall, cassero on which was built the tower, the palace of captain and the primordial and only port of entry.
Inside the church plebana, named after St. Lawrence Martyr, are the sacred image and the relic of patron saint, fragments of an altar robbiano, on board a framework of good hand, an urn cineraria Roman, two wooden statues dell'Addolorata and San Giovanni and an artistic wooden Crucifix 1500 school cortonese purchased by Vagnoli priest in 1783 by the former Great Society of Montepulciano, it is said that when the statement on current cross such a Vincenzo Rosadi, in making a companion phrase "beats beats is that both of wood, felt wet his forehead by a few drops that asciugatesele with a handkerchief (still guarded by the family Rosadi) intrise blood. It is celebrated every 25 years and in his honor every third Sunday of September is disputed the historic Palio dei Carretti of six quarters of Valiano. Rare fragments robbiani inside and outside the chapel Source Battesimale. In the bottom of the semicircular wall walled are some pieces: high, the God Father blessing with the book of life open to pages where you read the letters alpha and omega; just below, two angels knelt above two white clouds made of stucco; below, a ciborium rectangular with a centina decorated with leaves, the sides, two pairs of cherubs white on a blue background. Outside the chapel, above the arc to all sixth, were placed two angels in white on a blue background, which librati in flight, hold a cartouche,
The angel left holding the inscription
while the angel on the right
To crown the arch there are seven heads of cherubs. If all the fragments were recomposed should surely be the composition of an altar that even if uncertain provenance could tipologicamente belong to the complex of works by Andrea Della Robbia; characteristics of some stylistic elements suggest that these fragments, best workmanship, are dated around the last decade of the fifteenth century, perhaps to 1495.
Other places of interest nearby are: Montepulciano (19 km), Cortona (11 km), Pienza (34 Miles), Chianciano Terme (25 km), Cetona (33 km), Chiusi (24 Km), Trequanda (31 km), Castiglione del lago (16 km). Click on the map to go to its description:
More About This Location
City vacations, Rural retreats