Located on the southern coast, Victoria is one of Australia's mainland states. Its central urban hub is Melbourne, a thriving city with a population of 4.6 million people surrounded by some of the most rugged wilderness and beautiful national parks you'll find anywhere in the world. The wild coastline and the teeming ocean life just offshore provide an attraction that draws visitors to Victoria from all over the world.
Here are a few suggestions of things to do in Victoria:
- Take a private culinary and winery tour: This is a great way to view the beautiful countryside of Victoria around the Yarra Valley and sample delicious regional cuisine.
- Travel the Great Ocean Road: Along Australia's Southwestern coast, a famous 108 mile stretch of road winds between the ocean home to the Great Barrier Reef and a coastline of rainforests and spectacular cliffs. Some visitors come to Australia just to experience this journey.
- Visit the National Parks: Victoria provides a home for some extraordinary marine and coastal wildlife. Inland and marine national parks like Port Campbell and Wilsons Promontory will allow you to get a look at wild plants and animals in their natural habitats. Highlights include gannets, penguins, bottlenose dolphins, and Australian fur seals.
- Visit the Koala Conservation Center: Located on Philip Island, this conservation center may provide the best opportunity to get an up close look at real wild Koalas. Come here to learn more about these fascinating little creatures that have become a signature of the Australian landscape.
- The National Gallery of Victoria: This Melbourne site is the oldest art museum in Australia, dating back to 1861.
- Visit the Melbourne Cricket ground: An important historic site for cricket fans, this is also a must see for any sports enthusiasts in your travel group.
No matter when you plan to visit Melbourne or the larger state of Victoria, it should be very easy to find a vacation rental for your stay. Whether you plan to spend your time in an apartment rental in the heart of the city or in a cabin close to the parks, you won't be disappointed!