LOCATION. Over the Rainbow is located on the border of the National Park in Reef Bay, in an exceptionally peaceful and unspoiled setting that is as private today (2013) as it was in 1991. This villa is blessed with magnificent 260 degree views, including the "Big Sur" like shoreline of the National Park, miles of blue Caribbean Sea, lovely sunrises over Reef Bay and the glow of sunsets behind Fish Bay. Reef Bay Beach is a usually deserted white sand beach that is a 10-15 minute hike from your villa. Reef Bay is St. John's most "undiscovered" and virgin National Park beach where sea turtles still lay their eggs and romantic beach walks are very private affairs. A one mile hike along the shore brings you to a second beach at the head of Reef Bay while other trails take you on more challenging hikes through the National Park to Lameshur Bay, Bordeaux Mountain or Rams Head. It's a four mile drive into Cruz Bay, all of which is on what passes on St. John for a paved road, but Reef Bay is well off the beaten path, so few tourists ever explore this beautiful and relatively unknown area of St John.
DESIGN. This 2 bedroom, 2 bath villa consists of three connected buildings - a great room, master bedroom and guest bedroom - all of which are built in a semi circle around a terra cotta tiled garden courtyard that is ringed by native stone walls. You park below the villa and ascend a stone stairway up to the courtyard, where you enter the great room or either bedroom. The great room features 16' x 8' screened glass doors that open to an east facing lovely view and an intimate pool and sundeck. The pool is surrounded by tiled and wooden decks and a gazebo off the pool offers a shaded place to contemplate the peacefulness and beauty of this divine setting. A smaller deck off the master bedroom offers a view to the west over Fish Bay.
Your view of Reef Bay and the south shore National Park
The greatroom contains the living and dining areas plus the kitchen
Your neighborhood beach - Reef Bay - on a calm day
LIVING/DINING. Large screened glass doors on the east and west sides of the great house open to create a relaxing indoor-outdoor living area with romantic views and constant cooling breezes off Reef Bay. Terra cotta tiled floors, exposed beams and the pastel colors create a soothing interior while a rattan couch, loveseat and chair set insure comfortable seating. A 40" flat screen TV and DVD and a 2 speaker CD player/stereo/Ipod dock and wireless internet provide the electronic entertainment.
Dine inside at the glass and wicker table and chair set that seats 4, outside on the courtyard table also seating 4, or on the pool deck or under the gazebo also at a table seating four.
The kitchen includes a 4-burner stove with oven, refrigerator-freezer, microwave, dishwasher, blender, coffeemaker, telephone and a suitable assortment of cookware and dinnerware. A washer/dryer and a BBQ grill are also included.
Looking out at your view from the living room
Dining with a view
For a different view, try the courtyard table
BEDROOMS. The Fish Bay Bedroom (master bedroom w/king) and the Reef Bay Bedroom (guest bedroom w/king) both have a private tiled bath. The master bathroom has screened sliding walls that roll away to create a charming shower and bath area. The master bedroom also has its own private deck and deck furniture providing a cozy spot to watch the sunset. Both bedrooms have Ipod docks.
Looking out at the private deck of the Fish Bay bedroom
Looking into the courtyard from the Fish Bay bedroom
The view from the private Fish Bay bedroom deck looks west into Fish Bay
The Reef Bay Bedroom (guest bedroom) is made of elephant bamboo
CARIBBEAN VILLAS' COMMENTS. In the many years since we began offering Over the Rainbow, the serenity and superb privacy of this setting hasn't been compromised (as of 1/1/2014) in the least. The house however, has changed, all for the better. Since new owners bought Over the Rainbow in 2007 they have made numerous improvements and it now looks the best it has in 20 years. If you are looking for good hiking, the Reef Bay area has several trails available. Reef Bay Beach is less than a 1 mile hike and except for a handful of those who know St. John's secret beaches, Reef Bay is usually deserted. The Petroglyphs (the famous rock carvings of unknown origin), Lameshure Bay, and Bordeaux Mountain (St. John's highest mountain with spectacular down-island views) are a 1-2 mile hike. This is an excellent villa for honeymooners, couples, eco-tourists or anyone looking to relax and unwind in a splendidly peaceful and naturalist setting. From the pool deck, gaze at the brilliant sunrise over Reef Bay, or a fiery sunset glow over Fish Bay from the master bedroom deck. With almost no vehicular traffic in this neighborhood and great natural beauty, this villa is highly recommended for those who want to get away from it all in a beautiful, unspoiled setting, which also has a 40" flat screen TV/DVD, wireless internet and iPod connections – the best of both worlds.
The view from the gazebo
* We had a wonderful time at Over the Rainbow Nov 15-22. It was difficult to leave. This was our 3rd trip to St John, and also booking through your agency. Every one of our visits was extremely enjoyable and the relationship with Caribbean Villas has been consistently professional and amiable. We plan to be back and of course will be calling you once again. The thing I most like about CVRM is the way you present the villas on your web site. I can trust that we are going to rent a clean villa that is among the best that can be rented in the various price ranges offered. You rent quality properties and I can trust your candid guidance when choosing the villa. OTR was no exception. Hats off to the owners for the detail they provided in the documentation and equipping of their beautiful home. Dawn and I loved it the moment we walked in. I know this is a business, but you can tell they put love and effort in their home. Please pass my comments along to them--especially labeling the lighting switches and telephone. The interior and exterior lighting was very well done and provided a nice ambiance.
* We absolutely LOVED Over the Rainbow...perfect for 2 couples...St John is a beautiful place!
* Thank you SO much, we had a wonderful time! Over the Rainbow proved to be a perfect spot for us! We will be back!!
* We had a wonderful time at Over the Rainbow! The view was fantastic, the weather was great. We really enjoyed ourselves and will be back!!
* We just wanted to send you a quick note saying how wonderful Over The Rainbow was - it was so beautiful and tranquil. We absolutely loved it! We almost didn't want to explore the island because we thought the house was so perfect (though we did finally make it over to the beaches one day).
* I wanted to take a couple of minutes to compliment you on how well everything went for us on our vacation. The whole process from beginning to end seemed almost too good to be true! Your company did a great job handling all the arrangements. We were delighted with the villa! It always makes me nervous to book a house “sight unseen” but Over the Rainbow was all that it was advertised to be! It was a great experience all around. Great service!
* Just wanted to say the Villa was beautiful and your staff on the island was very helpful.
The man we met who showed us the way to the Villa on the first day (Jim) was SO NICE. He even leant us some baby toys from his personal home. We returned the toys but never got a chance to say thank you. Please pass along our thanks.
We will definately use you on our return trip in the future. It was so beautiful!!
* My girlfriend and I stayed in Over The Rainbow Dec. 30, 2012-Jan. 6, 2013, and we had the best time there. The villa was AWESOME, location was very private and quiet, and Jim/Terri (our greeters) were the best and very helpful. We are already planning our next trip, and we are planning to maybe buy some property on St. John. We just wanted you all to know how much we enjoyed our trip and villa. Have a good day and Happy New Year!
* Hello to the great staff at Caribbean Villas, I want to thank you all for our vacation at "Over the Rainbow". We found your business and communications to be first class. Our island greeteers Jim and Terry were very helpful and offered many suggestions on what to do on the island. Our Jeep was reliable and clean. The owners of the villa have done a super job of making the place friendly and comfortable. The plantings around the property and the pool were top notch. The Reef Bay view was spectacular. We slept in the Fish Bay room, the room was airy and comfortable. Never got tired of looking at all the animal life visiting the villa, the bananaquits and hummingbirds especially. Thanks again for a wonderful vacation.
Rates, Printing Errors, Changes and Omissions: Caribbean Villas is not responsible for printing errors and inadvertent omissions. All rates and villa details are subject to change without prior notice.
PHONE SERVICE/CELL PHONES: Local phone service is interrupted regularly and in spite of our efforts to reinstate service it can some times take weeks. AT&T; is the only cell service we find operates efficiently on the island. If you do not have AT&T; we strongly suggest you bring a pay as you go AT&T; cell phone with you as we do not provide cell phones should the local phone service be interrupted.
Internet Service: The internet service is subject to frequent interruption. We cannot guarantee internet quality or speed. Renters might find it convenient to travel with a cellular carrier MiFi – a couple of examples are AT&T; and Virgin Mobile. There will be no refunds due to the internet not working.
Over the Rainbow is located on the border of the National Park in Reef Bay, in an exceptionally peaceful and unspoiled setting that is as private today (2013) as it was in 1991. This villa is blessed with magnificent 260 degree views, including the "Big Sur" like shoreline of the National Park, miles of blue Caribbean Sea, lovely sunrises over Reef Bay and the glow of sunsets behind Fish Bay. Reef Bay Beach is a usually deserted white sand beach that is a 10-15 minute hike from your villa. Reef Bay is St. John's most "undiscovered" and virgin National Park beach where sea turtles still lay their eggs and romantic beach walks are very private affairs. A one mile hike along the shore brings you to a second beach at the head of Reef Bay while other trails take you on more challenging hikes through the National Park to Lameshur Bay, Bordeaux Mountain or Rams Head. It's a four mile drive into Cruz Bay, all of which is on what passes on St. John for a paved road, but Reef Bay is well off the beaten path, so few tourists ever explore this beautiful and relatively unknown area of St John.
Last updated on March 26, 2015
Not available for your dates?Not available for your dates? Check availability for
321,441 other World rentals
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 rentals around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.