Description from the owner
Description from the owner
Book this 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom villa in Zebbug today! A total of 8 people can sleep here comfortably.
Guests can enjoy a hot tub, air conditioning, and parking space among other amenities offered by this rental.
Travelers are sharing their opinions on this property. It has an overall rating of 5/5 thanks to an average of 32 reviews.
The owner responds to 95% of inquiries and last updated the property’s calendar 11 days ago.
A UNIQUELY-CONVERTED BAKERY WITH STUNNING VIEWS Zebbug, Island of Gozo, Malta
Additional Location Information
Discovering Gozo, a tiny island measuring about 14km by 7km with about 31000 inhabitants, is the key to discovering one of the most untouched and unique islands in the Mediterranean. Gozo, which is rather different from the sister island Malta, is the perfect island holiday destination, a serene land where time has stood still and where the locals are very helpful and friendly and are always ready to go out of their way to help. Its outstanding climate with temperatures hardly reaching 10 Celcius in winter, is an all-year round destination. Gozo with over 7000 years of history, is ideal for beach holidays, religious or historical travel, an eco-holiday, a walking holiday or just an opportunity to get away from it all and indulge in great food, great beaches and an exceptional culture. It is also paradise for those after a diving holiday in the crystal-clear Mediterranean waters. Gozo is many things to many different people, but above all it is truly special, tranquil and unique: the island of Myths and Miracles...
“Zebbug”, our village, means 'Olives' and this village was once famous for its abundance of olive trees. The olives were grown and harvested here and taken for pressing into oil at the adjacent village down the hill ,on the way to Victoria which is called Ghasri (meaning the ''pressing place'' ).
Zebbug is an old hilltop village with exotic views. The village's highest spot is marked by its parish church and the customary stone cross in front of it. Except for the coastal portions of Qbajjar and Marsalforn, the villagers of Zebbug actually live on two hills connected by a narrow strip of land. The land drops abruptly all around. This can be experienced along the road to Qbajjar and Marsalforn. Here you will see that Zebbug commands spectacular views over the coast , land and sea. Another steep hill at Zebbug is the flat topped Ta’ Kuljat, which contains some bronze age silo pits. The area between this hill and Qbajjar to the north contains many Punic and Pre-Historic tombs.
The villagers are known for the high quality of their (Bizzilla) lace, weaving and woolen blankets. Their religious values are untarnished, as judged for example from the high priority given to the maintenance of street niches.
Included with Zebbug is a good portion of Gozo`s north shore, which is characterized by some scenic inlets, natural bluffs and man-made salt pans. At Wied il-Ghasri, one of the islands beauty spots, quaint boat shelters align the narrow canyon, which also offers a secluded small sandy beach.
Our unique location blessed with spectacular views of the Mediterranean Sea offers a quiet place to get away from it all. Although tucked in an alley thus making it very safe for families with young children, it is at the same time close to all amenities. Seafront restaurants, supermarkets, beaches, diving, boat trips to Comino & Blue Lagoon, historical and cultural places are just 5 minutes drive away. For those who want to feel the remote life of a typical rural village, one can buy the fresh bread from the 8am van. Also the fish vendor and fruit and vegetable van come everyday infront of the house. For those who do not want to cook after a whole day exploring the island, one can visit Francesco’s Pizzeria in the village centre just 100m away from the house, and help himself at the hearty pizza at a very good price. Gozo’s traditional dishes include the sheep cheese filled ravioli, the “bragioli”, the local ftira, the mouthwatering fresh fish especially the “lampuki” pie and the “pastizzi”. On their day of arrival, our special guests are served with local delicacies including crunchy traditional bread with paste and fresh herbs, sheep peppered cheese, oven baked onions…a heaven for those who love typical cuisine.
THERE IS SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY...
• WALKING AND CYCLING Holidays during Spring and Autumn (Guided walking guide booklets are available for free from our accommodation)
• Snorkelling and diving in Gozo which is attributed to have the best diving spots in the Mediterranean. Further information available from our accommodation.
• Carnival is celebrated on the five days preceding Ash Wednesday. It usually falls in February. Initiated during the Aragonese rule (before 1530), the celebration has continued to grow and expand. Colorful artistic floats, grotesque masks and dance companies of all ages and sexes parade the streets of the town and the main villages throughout the whole week. Becoming more popular is the spontaneous carnival organised after sunset in the village of Nadur. Hundreds of people walk up and down the main street dressed in comically distorted figures and the most imaginative and creative costumes and masks to conceal their identity. Free public transport during the night to our village. This year this is held between 4th and 12th February 2013.
• The week from Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday, known in the Christian calendar as Holy Week, is full of religious and folkloristic shows. The central event is the Good Friday procession during which several life-size statues representing various moments from the passion and death of Christ are paraded through the village streets of Zebbug. Several men make vows to walk in the procession carrying a heavy cross or dragging heavy iron chains tied to their ankles. They wear hoods to conceal their identity. Scores of boys and young men are dressed in period costumes to add to the pageantry of the manifestation. Most impressive is the Roman legion, a gleam of breastplates, spears and shields and who announce themselves with trumpets and drum rolls. The procession is accompanied by the village band.
• On Easter afternoon there is a procession with the statue of the Risen Christ in our village. When the statue reaches the village square, the bearers stop for a moment and then return the Risen Christ inside the church with a run. This year’s celebrations take place between 5th and 8th April.
• Strawberries festival in April - Festa Frawli in Mgarr Malta (Transfers to and from accomodation available on request)
• Malta International Fireworks Festival Spectacular pyrotechnic event (Transfers to and from accomodation on request)
• The Medieval Mdina Festival takes place in May. The festival focuses on re-enactments, pageantry and floral displays. Activities also include a medieval street market, jousting, a display of birds of prey, as well as medieval games for everyone. Entrance fees for all museums and attractions in Mdina have been reduced. Details of dates to be given later. (Transfers to and from accommodation are available on request).
• The Malta Jazz Festival takes place in July of every year. Dates of the program to be given later.
• Local folklore reaches its climax during the Village festas – During June to September there are celebrations every weekend in a different village. A festa worthy of the name is made up of illuminations, brass bands, fireworks and a procession. End of August is Festa of Santa Maria at Zebbug our village with a whole week of celebrations and spectacular fireworks during the weekend. Detailed program available from our accommodation.
• Nadur Wine Festival - Delicata Wine Festival at Nadur end of August beginning of September (every day from 6pm till midnight). Public transport from and to the festival.
• Festival Mediterranea October-November 2014. An annual event on the Island of Gozo, Festival Mediterranea offers all that Gozo boasts of in the cultural and artistic arena. This mid-autumn festival has an island-wide aspect, with a wide variety of indoor and outdoor events. Music concerts dominate the celebrations, but there are also international conferences, walks and talks in ancient and historic places, field trips, food and drink events and art exhibitions. Festival Mediterranea offers visitors a great opportunity to learn about Gozo's temples and archaeological sites through a series of lectures and visits.
• Betlehem at Ghajnsielem 2014 - Bethlehem f'Ghajnsielem Christmas village in Gozo
Visit the island of Gozo in December 2014 and January 2015and experience Bethlehem f'Ghajnsielem - the largest animated Christmas village in Europe. FREE guided tour of this nativity village together with other live cribs on the island to all our visitors.
The bus stop is just 50 metres from the house and has really good connections to all villages on the island. Parking is outside the alley on the main street.
More About This Location
Beach or lakeside relaxation, Rural retreats, Waterfront
Car is not necessary
Proximity to TripAdvisor's Top Zebbug Attractions
Proximity to TripAdvisor's Top Zebbug Attractions
Last updated on October 10, 2016
Rates shown in $ USD (Rental listed originally in EUR)
|See all dates
Please note: these rates exclude taxes and fees and may vary depending on the length of your stay. Rates are also subject to change at the owner’s discretion.
- Fees for additional guests may apply.
Additional notes from the owner
Included in the price:
wifi (limited to 1.5gb/day; unlimited between midnight and 6am)
gas, water and electricity units,
bed linen, towels and beach towels(in summer)
drink on arrival
reading material and maps
fans and heaters
Available on site at an extra cost:
beach umbrellas, bicycles and car hiring
use of spa
use of aircondition is against payment (ac is available in the 2 main bedrooms and the living area). However we give enough electricity units to warm/cool the house to make it comfortable.
Arrival between 10pm and 6am incur an extra charge.
The tourist tax is â‚Ź0.50/night up to a maximum of â‚Ź5/stay. Prices are per person from 18 years of age. This is not included in the price.
- A/C or climate control
- High chair
- Linens Provided
- Soap/Shampoo Provided
- Short breaks allowed (1-4 days)
- Towels Provided
- Local Guides/Maps
- Hair dryer
- Ceiling Fans
- Washing Machine
Phone / Internet
- Internet Access
Pool / Spa
- Hot Tub/Jacuzzi
- Ocean or water views
- Paper Towels Provided
- Stove or Oven
- Satellite or cable TV
- DVD Player
- Outdoor Dining Area
- Balcony or terrace
- 1291 square feet
based on 9 reviews
of guests would stay again
A FlipKey verified reviewer
“Eine tolle Woche in iL-Forn - a wonderful week at iL-Forn”
Wir hatten eine wunderbare Woche in iL-Forn. Aufgrund der detaillierten Bilder auf der Homepage konnten wir uns ein sehr genaues Bild von dem liebevoll restaurierten Haus machen und waren voller Erwartung, und diese wurden voll erfüllt. Das Haus hat eine tolle atmosphäre, in der man sich wohlfühlt und bietet eine sehr gute ausstattung. Da wir nur zu zweit waren, hatten wir für uns sehr viel Platz. Aber auch zwei Ehepaare mit zwei Kindern können hier gut unterkommen.Wir waren jeden Tag mit dem Mietwagen unterwegs, freuten uns aber immer darauf, nach iL-Forn zurückzukehren. Aufgrund der Lage in der kleinen Ortschaft Zebbug lebt man in großer Ruhe, wird jedoch durch die fahrenden Händler (Backwaren, Fisch usw.) mit allem Notwendigen versorgt. Zudem ist Victoria nur wenige autominuten entfernt. Ganz besonders angenehm empfanden wir die fürsorgliche Betreuung vor und während des Urlaubs durch Mary und andrew. Sie sorgten sich um unsere anreise vom Flughafen und wieder zurück und gaben uns viele Tips, wie wir uns die Insel Gozo erschließen konnten. So war jeder Tag dieser Woche ausgefüllt mit Eindrücken von Buchten, Stränden, Städten und Landschaften. We had a wonderful week at iL-Forn. The numerous pictures on the homepage gave us in advance a very detailed impression of the carefully restored old bakery. Hence we were full of expectations and they were imposingly delivered. The house is fully equipped and has a wonderful atmosphere in which one feels very comfortable. We were en route with a rental car every day, but we always enjoyed coming home to iL-Forn. Because of the location of iL-Forn in the small village Zebbug it is very quiet. There are no shops, but retailer come with their cars and sell bakery producs etc. every day and Victoria is only some minutes car ride away. Mary and andrew fondly took care of us. They gave us many hints and really helped to turn our stay on Gozo into an impressive event.
A FlipKey verified reviewer
“Heaven on Earth...”
First of all Mary and andrew, the owners of this lovely property, are perhaps the kindest, hardest working, most generous and efficient hosts you could hope to encounter anywhere! And while their home is right out of a storybook-wonderful and unbelievably comfortable it's their grace, charm and thoughtfulness that finally makes the experience so singularly memorable! As for "Il Forn" itself, as the house is called, you won't find anything like it on the whole of this small island paradise, Gozo. It's both sleek and modern yet comfortable and homey with breathtaking views from the terrace of the whole of the island right out to the Mediterranean itself! Sheer heaven in other words especially in the evening with a glass of red and your wife besides you. The most interesting architectural feature of all is the fact the house is a converted bakery where the entire community once upon a time would bake bread for themselves. Even met a neighbor, easy enough in Gozo, with vivid memories of having done just that in his childhood. Gozo is a quiet tranquil oasis where the people are friendly yet not pushy and where you have the most awe-inspiring vistas from virtually any corner of the island. A tiny footnote for single men the women are absolutely gorgeous! But honestly so is everything else here. Yet finally the reason to come here is "Il Forn" itself, you'll just fall in love with the place it's so beautifully magical. Then of course Mary and andrew both will make it impossible to leave:-) The best part of our month-long holiday in the Mediterranean and I'll guarantee you'll feel exactly as we did, my wife and me, sailing away on the ferry back to Malta with a deep pang of regret. Yet certain we'd return again soon!
“So personal and cosy and unlike other common stays”
We really loved this place. The owners Mary and andrew welcomed us and took time to explain us about the Island and what to see. The rest of our stay they were so helpfull with whatever we needed. The house was unlike any common stay we have tried earlier. It has so much soul, and has been restored in such a caring way. There where everything we needed, and we would go there anytime again.
A FlipKey verified reviewer
“Care and attention”
We stayed at Il-Forn in late October and must say it was a little paradise on earth. It is run by a very nice and extremely hospitable couple, who are very helpful with service, also in giving good tips for sightseeing, restaurants, little beaches in the surrounding area. The farmhouse is really cosy and nicely decorated, breathing with ancient spirit. So, we have spent perfect holidays in ideal place!!!
A FlipKey verified reviewer
“Il Forn - Stunning Comfort and Rest”
Right from the start - as throughout our whole stay - we were given a very warm reception by Mary and andrew, owners to the stunningly crafted Il Forn residency. Il Forn is located just wonderful in Zebbug, the highest situated village on Gozo - which made for wonderful views of sunrise and sunset on Il Forn´s roof terrace. The house - a tasteful converted former bakery - is stunning, generous and comfortable with its several levels, its patio and roof terrace. We are glad that Mary and andrew gave us valuable assistance finding the most wonderful spots on Gozo as well as getting to know the local culture and customs. We recommend Il Forn for a vacation with great comfort. The cultural history of Gozo and Malta is vibrant and broad. Even though Gozo seems small it is that rich that we did not see it all. We will definitely be back - for Gozo and Il Forn! Sabina and Sebastian
“Wonderful People - Wonderful Place”
Il-forn Zebbug we highly recommend for those who like to spend their vacation time actively. It's a great place for both young people as well as families with children. Location gives you the opportunity to visit the island. You can do hiking or rent a car and visit all the interesting places of the island. Accommodation in a very quiet and peaceful place. Great scenery and views from the terrace located on the roof of the building. The hosts turned out to be wonderful and very hospitable people. Provide you everything you will need. The unique atmosphere. Very recommendable place. We want to go back there again! Gozo is a beautiful island. You must going here!!! :) Pawel
A FlipKey verified reviewer
“Beautiful property, wonderful hospitality”
My partner and I spent a week at this beautifully restored bakery in the quiet village of Zebbug. We visited Gozo for a chilled out break and had a wonderful time, quickly getting used to the relaxed pace of life, enjoying the stunning views, checking out the sites and enjoying the local food and wine. The village of Zebbug was quiet and only had one restaurant, but as I enjoy cooking that didn't phase us at all. The island is so small, you can very quickly get around and find everything you need. Our hosts Mary and andrew were incredibly welcoming and met us on arrival with home-cooked food and home-made wine, ideal after a day of traveling. The property was charmingly quirky yet homely and had been lovingly restored by our hosts to an incredibly high standard. The bedroom was small but comfortable, the bathroom was immaculate and the kitchen was well equipped - probably to the best standard of any self catering accommodation I've seen, including tea, coffee, oil, spices and a fridge stocked with enough bits and pieces to last at least a day or two. All in all, a great holiday in a lovely place, perfect for a relaxing retreat.
Sonya and Thomas
“Hidden Gem with the best holiday home owners!”
Mary and andrew and their family are the most amazing hosts we have ever seen anywhere before. They are very attentive, warm, friendly and welcoming. Their house is spotlessly clean, well equipped, tastefully and thoughtfully decorated. We were the first lucky family that stayed in their house. We stayed for 2 weeks. They entertained us with barbeque at the rooftop as we arrived, barbeque at the beach, going for evening walks, showing us around and go to the village festa. They are the type of people that can accomodate whatever your ideal holiday requirements are. We will always treasure the memories of our holidays in Gozo with them.
A Holiday Lettings verified reviewer
“A delightful property, full of character and comfort.”
The service we received was excellent. Our hosts were helpful, informative and hospitable. The property was beautifully renovated retaining original features but providing modern facilities. It was stylish, comfortable and well equipped. We deliberately chose the quiet village location which was within easy reach of amenities by car. The views from our roof terrace were stunning. We could not fault the property though the spiral staircase to the roof required care. A memorable visit.
Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews