Located in Andalucia between the beautiful curving coastline and the base of the Sierra Almijara Mountains, the Spanish town of Nerja welcomes visitors from all over the world. This little village offers travelers a respite from the urban bustle of Malaga and Granada and represents the best of the relaxed atmosphere of Costa del Sol.
Come here to explore the beach and mountains, become immersed in Spanish coastal culture, and experience the freshest seafood the Mediterranean has to offer prepared in a traditional style. During the day, relax on the beach and explore the colorful flea markets and shops of Nerja's busy downtown. After the sun goes down, see local music and dance performances and enjoy the relaxed but energetic atmosphere of Nerja's beachy nightlife.
Here are a few additional suggestions as you plan your trip:
- Explore the Nerja Caves: This extensive and fascinating cave system is millions of years old but was only discovered and opened to the public a few decades ago.
- Visit the Nerja donkey sanctuary: As anyone in Andalucia can tell you, mules and donkeys are greatly respected here for their contributions to the history of coastal Spain. Come to the sanctuary and learn more about these noble and humble workers.
- Play on the beach: Some of Andalucia's most beautiful beaches are located in Nerja, including the Playa de Burriana and Capistrano Playa. Swim, surf, or relax in the pristine sand and watch the distant sailboats go by.
- Explore the Historic Village of Punta Lara: Preserved homesteads here offer beautiful representations of Spanish life in an earlier time.
- Visit the Church of El Salvador: Built in 1697, this church has undergone a few additions and renovations since that time and is now an architectural and historical marvel as well as a peaceful sanctuary.
- Take a day trip: Granada and Malaga are just an hour or two away from Nerja and offer some museums and cultural destinations that shouldn't be missed, like the Picasso Museum and the Alcazar Fort.
You won't have any trouble finding the perfect place to stay in Nerja. Vacation rentals are widely available here, and many visitors like to choose an apartment close to their areas of interest. Find a sleek condo in the heart of town, or rent an elegant Spanish villa with sprawling balconies and beautiful views of the blue Mediterranean Sea.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.