Browse all regions in Switzerland
Between the skiing and hiking opportunities of the Swiss Alps, the small but action packed cities, and unbelievable local cuisine, Switzerland can meet the vacation needs of any type of traveler. This landlocked European country has inherited many of the traits of its EU neighbors; the Northwest of Switzerland is German-speaking, the influence of the nearby wine regions of France spill into the Southwest part of the country, and the Southeast has plenty of Italian style plazas. While you are visiting, be sure to explore the 11 distinct regions of Switzerland, especially the Bernese Highlands, Valais, Lake Geneva, and Fribourg.
Here are a few additional suggestions of things to do in Switzerland:
- Zurich: By far the biggest city in Switzerland, Zurich is known for having the best nightlife in the country and its location on Lake Zurich offers stunning views of the city.
- Geneva: This large city is the center of arts and culture for Switzerland, and is home to over 200 governmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Lucerne: A quaint city in the middle of Switzerland, you can travel to all of the main historic sites here by water taxi.
- Berne: The capital of Switzerland, Berne is famous for its old-town in the city center with excellent restaurants and shopping.
- Rapperswil: This beautiful and small old town is located right on Lake Zurich.
Whenever you decide to visit Switzerland, there will likely be some event or festival taking place in one of the country's many buzzing cities. Some highlights include the Zurich Film Festival, which screens some of the premiere films from filmmakers across Europe; the Montreux Jazz Festival, which spans several days and features top musicians from across the globe; and Expovina in October, which showcases the country's best wine and food from top Swiss chefs.
A vacation rental is the preferred option for those visiting Switzerland. In addition to a condo or apartment rental located downtown in one of the country's amazing cities, you can also rent a luxury cabin near the Swiss Alps for an unforgettable vacation in the great outdoors.