Vero Beach is no ordinary Florida beach vacation destination. This postcard perfect landscape of eternal summer provides a great place to play golf or relax in a spa. It is also the home of many fantastic nature preserves and fascinating museums. Visitors come here from all over the world to visit the Kennedy Space Center, the launch point for many of voyages into the last great frontier. While you are here, take a Space Center tour, visit the astronaut hall of fame, and if you arrive at the right time, experience a launch first hand.
Thousands of visitors also come to Vero Beach to see the symbol of Florida's unique natural history, the manatee. There may be no better place to see real manatees in their natural marine and estuarial habitats.
During the day, hike the trails, take a boat trip along the coast, or climb to the top of a lighthouse and look down on the Atlantic Coast from above. After sunset, enjoy world-class cuisine at one of the many award winning restaurants and nightspots around Vero Beach.
Here are a few additional suggestions for your trip:
- Take a guided canoe trip: Take a guided eco tour of the Indian River Lagoon. Paddle up the secluded canoe routes of the St. Sebastian River and see native Florida marine life up close.
- Visit the Grant Historical House and Fisherman's Park: The Grant Historical house was moved to the Indian River in 1916. The area around it is now a public park with a fishing dock, picnicking spots, water activities, and scenic views.
- Hike the trails: Explore the protected wilderness areas of Captain Forester's Hammock Preserve or the St. Sebastian River Preserve.
- Visit the McLarty Museum: See a variety of salvaged artifacts taken from the Spanish Plate Fleet that was shipwrecked in 1715 and learn more about shipwrecks and treasure hunting.
- Visit the Manatee Observation and Education Center: This fascinating nature center and wildlife observation area is located along the estuarial shoreline in downtown Fort Pierce.
- The Navy SEAL museum: The original training site of the first US Navy Frogmen has now been converted into a museum showcasing the work of Naval Combat Demolition Units, Scouts and Raiders, and SEALs.
You'll find plenty of places to stay here, no matter what time of year you plan your trip. Vacation rental opportunities are always available around Vero Beach and Fort Pierce. Find an elegant condo or trendy apartment downtown, or rent a beautiful home just a few steps away from the beach. While you're visiting Vero Beach, you may want to take day trips to nearby South Beach and Fort Pierce.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.