Browse all regions in Greece
Although Greece is known for its ancient historical sites, lively capital, and thriving Mediterranean islands, it is often underrated for the beauty of its landscapes and the diversity of its people. Greece is a nation that has undergone a dramatic transformation in recent decades, growing from an agrarian hotspot for tourism into a rapidly modernizing and increasingly urban-centered nation. Still, visitors will find that the locals are extremely warm and welcoming and that the "work to live, not live to work" culture persists.
The most popular attractions in Greece include:
- Athens: Home to the Parthenon and countless other ancient historical sites, the Greek capital of Athens is a lively city that rivals Rome for beauty and intrigue. Even if you're planning a holiday in the islands, it's well worth the effort to spend a day or two in Athens.
- Santorini: This volcanic island is one of the nation's most popular and celebrated holiday hotspots. It is well-known for its spectacular coastal views, charming towns, and incredible Mediterranean sunsets. If you're coming for a Greece honeymoon, you could not pick a better spot than Santorini.
- Crete: The largest of the Mediterranean Greek islands, Crete is ideal if you want to go sailing in Greece, and almost every Greece cruise will stop here as a port of call. It is great for going island-hopping, too, as its popularity has led to the development of excellent travel infrastructure. If you want to pamper yourself, many of the best spas in Greece are located on Crete as well.
- Olympia: The home of the Olympic Games of the ancient world, Olympia also has a sanctuary dedicated to the famous gods of Greek legend, led by Zeus.
- Delphi: Best-known for its famous Oracle, a visit to Delphi also rewards your curiosity by providing a glimpse into some of the country's most intriguing and mysterious ancient excavation sites.
Whether you're staying on the Greek mainland or among its many enchanting islands, choose a vacation rental for your accommodations rather than a hotel. You'll enjoy a more comfortable stay, complete with all the amenities and luxuries of home, at very competitive rates. Rental options are available at affordable rates, with property types ranging from villas that are just steps from the beach to beautiful apartments in the heart of Athens.
From Greece, you can head east to the intriguing Turkish city of Istanbul, which marks the border between the western and eastern worlds. You can also stay along the Mediterranean coast to explore Slovenia and Italy, which lie to the west.