The charming markets and old Victorian architecture of Ludlow make this an immensely appealing destination for anyone who wants to visit the English countryside. The biggest events and most popular shops are based around Ludlow Castle, but there's something to do no matter where you decide to stay in town.
Be sure to check out some of these attractions and activities that have made Ludlow one of the most popular vacation areas in the UK:
- Ludlow Castle: Built almost 1,000 years ago, this beautiful medieval castle is considered to be the main landmark in town.
- Castle Square: Historical architecture surrounds you from nearly every angle here, from the recently restored medieval house to the old Victorian church.
- Ludlow Market: Browse the wide range of local foods and crafts at the many stands on display at the market, held during the week in Castle Square.
- Ludlow River: Hire out a rowboat and paddle along the river for an afternoon.
- Ludlow Assembly Rooms: These rooms host a variety of community plays, performances, workshops and lectures that are open to the public.
The majority of events and festivals held in Ludlow are spread out throughout the year, which means that there is never a bad time to visit the area. Enjoy a weekend of live music and great food during the Spring Festival in May, buy souvenirs or gifts from one of the dozens of stalls set up during the Ludlow Medieval Christmas Fayre in December, or sample fine cuisine and brews from some of the best establishments in Britain during the Ludlow Marches Food and Drink Festival in September.
A vacation rental is the preferred option for those visiting Ludlow. Rent a condo in the middle of the historical center that's within walking distance of the wonderful shopping and pubs in town. Or, for a different scene, book a luxury apartment with ocean views. No matter what you're looking for during your stay in Ludlow, there's a vacation rental available that will meet your every need.
There are a slew of other attractions for you to experience during a day trip to the surrounding areas. Sample Welsh culture in the capital city of Cardiff, enjoy the rural countryside in the county of Herefordshire, or wander around the medieval architecture of the town of Shrewsbury. All of these great destinations can be reached within a one-hour drive.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.