Featured Como Properties
1 / 35
2 BR / 2 BA / Sleeps 6
- Min stay varies
In the heart of the Lombardy region of Italy, the picturesque Lake Como lies at the base of the Rhaetian Alps. Along the shores of Lake Como, in both directions from the peninsula at its center, there are quaint villages where fisherman haul in their catches and cats bask in the sun. One of the most popular and frequently visited destinations around the lake is the village of Como.
Come to Como to take a step back to an earlier time. Stroll the colorful market areas, watch the bustling activity of the port, and sample the legendary food and wine of Lombardy at the warm-hearted traditional restaurants here. While you're staying in Como, be sure to explore the churches, historic castles and country estates of the entire lake area. Visit the beautiful restored estates in the nearby towns of Varenna, Lecca, and Bellagio City. Some of these castles and country estates have been standing since the 14th century. And of course, enjoy the lake itself. There are plenty of charter tours that can take you out from the shores of Como to Isola Comacina, the lake's only island.
Here are a few additional suggestions as you plan your trip:
- Visit the Villa Balbianello: Tour the rooms and lovely formal gardens of this preserved historic villa. The interior contains an extensive collection of 19th century furnishings.
- Visit the Cathedral of Como: Originally constructed centuries ago and restored several times, this beautiful cathedral is a combination of gothic and renaissance architecture.
- Explore the Tempio Voltiano: This quirky museum pays homage to Alessandro Volta, the inventor of the electric battery.
- Visit the Silk Museum: Silk was once a very important commodity in Como. See the exhibits here documenting the history of this coveted fabric.
- Take an Italian cooking class: Once you've sampled the culinary treasures of the Lombardy region in a local restaurant, you may want to take a course and learn how to reproduce these traditional flavors on your own.
- Play on the lake: Rent a boat and glide out on the water. Go windsurfing, swim, or just relax on the tranquil beaches.
The village of Como, like most of Lombardy and the Lake Como area, is breathtakingly beautiful during every season of the year. In the winter the Alps are covered in snow and in the summer the orchards and vineyards come to life and the mountain hills bloom with wildflowers. This is a perfect vacation destination no matter what time of year you schedule your visit. There are also plenty of luxury vacation rental opportunities here all year round. Find an elegant vacation condo or hillside villa with beautiful views of the lake.