Situated within Sonoma County on California's North Coast, Windsor is a historic town dating back to the 1870s and part of the state's renowned wine country region. Today, people come from all over the globe to experience the area's exquisite natural beauty, culinary delights, outdoor activities, and of course, the unique and award-winning vineyards nearby. There are plenty of casual and fine dining restaurants to be discovered, as well as various cultural activities to enjoy downtown and within the city's parks and playgrounds. Shopping excursions for antiques, clothing, jewelry, and crafts are easy to find. Visitors will also encounter a cornucopia of fruits, vegetables, and homegrown goodies at the Windsor Farmers Market, which runs all year long.
Here are some of the town highlights you'll want to take include in your itinerary:
- Old Downtown Windsor: This historic hub of the city is full of shops, restaurants, and cafes.
- Windsor Town Green: As the central spot for fun family activities, this space features plenty of room for play, picnics, outdoor concerts and more.
- Russian Hill Estate Vineyards and/or Martinelli Vineyards: These two wineries offer tastings and tours in beautiful countryside surroundings.
- Ballooning: A hot-air balloon experience offers truly breathtaking sights of Sonoma County Wine Country.
- The Windsor Golf Club: This former PGA tournament stop provides a challenging course in a picturesque setting.
- Powell's Sweet Shoppe: As an old-fashioned candy store, this is the sweet spot for adults and kids alike.
After a long day of exploring all that Windsor has to offer, you can settle into your vacation rental, whether it be an apartment or condo downtown or a villa with spectacular vineyard views.
Temperatures are mild year-round, but harvest time, around September and October, is the ideal season to see all the sights. There are also several annual events that are attractive to travelers including Taste Alexander Valley in May, a food and wine event, and Summer Nights on the Green, movie showings under the stars during June, July, and August.
To continue your journey in the wine country, you can visit additional nearby attractions in Santa Rosa and Sonoma. If you are craving some big city adventure, San Francisco, is located about an hour south of Windsor.