Aptly known as the City of Roses, Portland, Oregon, is renowned for all of its local color, sights, and sounds, as well as its burgeoning cultural scene, which includes a variety of art, theater, opera, and dance. Located in the Pacific Northwest where the Willamette and Columbia Rivers converge, Portland is
Oregon's most populated city and its greenest - literally and figuratively.
Because of the lush gardens and parks situated throughout the area and the ecological mindset of its citizens, Portland is known as a place for revitalization and inspiration. The city features a number of enjoyable activities, such as walking, biking tours, and a host of galleries and museums. Along the way, you will also encounter great coffee, cuisine, microbreweries and more.
Some of the highlights you will want to check out are:
- Pioneer Courthouse Square: Known as "Portland's living room," this public area is located downtown and hosts hundreds of events annually.
- The International Rose Test Garden: This scenic garden is home to thousands of rose bushes from around the globe and is a popular picnic area too.
- Portland Art Museum: Established in 1892, this museum is renowned for the 40,000 works of modern and contemporary art found there.
- Powell's City of Books: This world-famous bookstore houses thousands of books and spans a full city block.
- Oregon Museum of Science and Industry: This waterfront museum features numerous rotating exhibitions plus a permanent planetarium and an OMNIMAX theater.
- Portland Saturday Market: Open from the first weekend of March until Christmas Eve, this market is a must-see shopping spot for visitors and locals alike.
After immersing yourself in the city during the day, check out some of Portland's nighttime hotspots, several of which can be found in the Pearl District. When you are finally ready for bed, the city also provides many condos and apartments where you can rest your weary head. No matter what size home or location you desire, it is easy to find a vacation rental with amazing views and quick access to everything you want to see and experience.
Portland is predominantly mild year-round due to the fact that it is situated between two mountain ranges, the Cascade in the east and the lower Coast in the west, making anytime a good time to visit the city. However, it must be noted that springtime in Portland brings the most beautiful flowers to bloom, and during that season, the City of Roses becomes a breathtaking scene to behold.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.