Browse all regions in Belize
Though located in Central America, Belize is often thought of as Caribbean in spirit. Its laid-back atmosphere, island living, and breathtaking landscape make it a big draw for travelers. Over thirty percent of the country is virtually untouched as it is nature reserve land and a protected park. Because of this, eco-adventures play a big role in the Belize. Outdoor enthusiasts can enjoy a number of water sports in Belize including spectacular scuba diving, snorkeling, kayaking, and wind surfing. Nature lovers who visit are bound to fall in love with the wildlife sanctuaries, hiking trails, and fishing in the area while history and archaeology buffs can rejoice in the numerous sites of ancient Mayan ruins.
Some of the sights you will not want to miss include:
- The Belize Zoo: Situated in a natural forest just outside of Belize City, this zoo features many wild animals that were once pets of individual collectors. This establishment attempts to recondition the animals in the hopes that they can return to their own natural habitats.
- Actun Tunichil Muknal: Located in the Tapir Mountain not far from San Ignacio, this cave was discovered as recently as 1992. It is a sacred Mayan site that includes many ancient artifacts such as pottery, ceramics, and stoneware. There is also evidence of sacrificial human remains, one example of which is known as the Crystal Maiden because limestone crystals almost cover it in its entirety.
- Xunantunich: These structures consist of a series of six plazas whose surroundings make up 26 palaces and temples. These ancient Mayan ruins are situated on a ridge above the Mopan River, from which visitors can view the Guatemalan border.
- The Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary: This is one of the largest, preserved areas in the country. In 1990, it opened as the first jaguar sanctuary and now houses about 60 of Belize's 700 jaguars.
- The Caracol: The Caracol resides on the Vaca Plateau 500 meters above sea level and is the biggest ancient Mayan site in Belize. Canaa, also known as Sky Place, is the largest pyramid found here and is the country's tallest manmade structure.
- The Great Blue Hole: Water lovers will jump right in to Belize diving since every Belize reef is a beautiful spot to take a plunge into. This is the most celebrated diving spot in Belize. It is an immense sinkhole underneath the water not far from the Lighthouse Reef. It displays a perfect circle of deep blue waters. The farther one dives into the Hole, the clearer and more spectacular the water and scenery become.
A vacation rental in Belize is the ideal way to make yourself at home in this tropical paradise. Couples headed down the aisle will find honeymoons in Belize a spectacular way to celebrate their once-in-a-lifetime trip, especially if they stay in a secluded beachfront villa for their romantic getaway.