Browse all regions in Central America
About Central America
Come visit this part of the world to experience ancient Mayan culture in Belize, world-class scuba diving among reefs and shipwrecks in Honduras, and unique culinary traditions everywhere that are neither North nor South American, but combine the best of both. More than anything else, come to Central America for exposure to spectacular natural beauty that you won't find anywhere else in the world. The coral reefs and rainforest ecosystems here are ancient and breathtaking, and the experience offered by some of the waterfalls and volcanoes of Central American National Parks will leave you with amazing memories and photographs. Visit just one of the nations of Central America or plan a longer trip and experience all of them.
Here are a few suggestions of things to see and do:
- Panama: See the Panama Canal. In operation since 1914, its gravity powered locks and controlled waterways are considered one of the great wonders of the world.
- Guatemala: Come to Guatemala City and see a legendary ballet performance at the Centro Cultural Miguel Angel Asturias National Theater.
- Belize: Go cave tubing. Take an inner tube into the spectacular caves of Belize to experience the native plants and animals of the ecosystem, geological formations, and ancient Mayan history.
- Costa Rica: Take a guided trek through the Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve in Costa Rica. Tour the jungle canopy and see unforgettable species of butterflies, reptiles, and hummingbirds.
- Nicaragua: Visit the ChocoMuseo in Granada and tour the factory and farm to learn about how chocolate is made.
No matter where you go on your visit to Central America, you'll need a place to stay. And it can be easier to find a vacation rental here than you might think, even close to remote forested areas, on isolated islands or near secluded villages. If you want to experience the urban heart of Panama City or Granada, you'll have no trouble finding a stylish apartment or condo rental close to the colorful market hubs, world-class restaurants and shopping districts, or the hottest night spots.