Millions of people come to visit Tuscany every year, but a stay in the quiet village of Castiglion Fiorentino, where beautiful countryside and mountains surround you everywhere you turn, is a great way to get the Tuscan experience without enduring throngs of visitors. You'll find most of the top restaurants in town and trendy boutique shopping along Via Nazionale, the main street in Castiglion Fiorentino. Several stunning old buildings can also be found on the street known as Via Vecchie Ciminiere.
Here are some of the other must-see attractions and activities in the area:
- Castello di Fiorentina: This nearby village is surrounded by great architecture and offers picturesque views of the countryside.
- Try the Cuisine: The food in this part of Tuscany is simple, yet full of flavor. Try the Panzanella, a delicate ravioli made in a rich truffle sauce.
- Apennine Mountains: These mountains offer walking and hiking trails that take you past the olive trees that the area is famous for.
- Church of Saint Angelo: The most popular church in Castiglion Fiorentino dates back to the 12th century and is one of the many ancient structures in the middle of the historical center.
- Play Golf: Several golf courses for all levels of players have sprung up in recent years throughout the area. Casentino Golf Club is the most popular amongst the locals.
It doesn't matter when you decide to Castiglion Fiorentino because the Fiera Antiquaria is one of the many events that take place year-round. Held on the first Sunday of every month, people from all over Italy come to look at clothing and locally made food and crafts from over 500 vendors. Some of the other major events in the area include the horse race in June known as the Palio dei Rioni and Giostra del Sacarino an equestrian competition in nearby Arezzo that has been held every June for over 400 years.
The Tuscan region is one of the most popular vacation spots in the world, which means that there is no shortage of vacation rentals available year-round. Book a condo that overlooks the vineyards and beautiful countryside, or rent a property downtown near the restaurants and shopping.
A vacation to Castiglion Fiorentino wouldn't be complete without visiting some of the nearby cities and towns that make this area so popular. If you have some extra time to explore, plan a day trip to the world-renowned art on display in the town of Arezzo or the canals and historical attractions of Florence, both which can be reached within 30 minutes by car.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.