Browse all regions in Indonesia
Visit Indonesia and let the color, spice, and dramatic natural beauty of Southeast Asia overwhelm your senses. This nation is made up of 17,500 equatorial islands, a third of which are uninhabited. The other two-thirds represent an intoxicating combination of ancient cultural traditions and modern urban glamour. Come here to explore jagged green canyons, volcanic mountains, tranquil glassy lakes, and endless terraced rice fields. While you are here, head into the city and become immersed in the warmth and hospitality of Indonesian culture, navigate colorful festivals in the busy streets, and make new friends along the way. Be sure to save some time to wander through beautiful Hindu temple ruins, explore forts and museums, and sample the unforgettable flavors of Indonesian cuisine prepared by street vendors or world-class chefs!
Here are a few additional suggestions of things to do in Indonesia:
- Bali: Take a bicycle tour of Ubud. It's the perfect way to get an overview of this magical city. Then take an Indonesian cooking class and learn how to bring the culinary treasures of Bali home with you.
- Java: Visit the stunning temples, ruins, and Hindu architectural masterpieces in the regencies of Prambanan and Yogyakarta, or take a hike up to volcanic Mount Bromo.
- Sumatra: Go diving or snorkeling in the Mentawai Islands west of Sumatra, or take a guided tour of the Gunung Leuser National Park.
- Borneo: Visit the Tanjung Puting National Park for a personal encounter with Borneo's famous orangutans and proboscis monkeys, along with other rare species of uniquely Indonesian wildlife.
- Sulawesi: Tour Fort Rotterdam and learn more about the colonial period of Sulawesi's history. Then spend an afternoon relaxing on Losari Beach or visit the Mahawu volcano.
-Jakarta: Get lost in the colorful bustle of Sunda Kelapa, once a 16th century trading post, then an important fish market, and now a whirl of shops, activity, and history.
You will have no trouble finding a place to stay on any of Indonesia's larger islands. Reserve a luxurious villa with views of the mountains and the ocean, or find an elegant apartment downtown that perfectly meets your needs.