Walk through the charming shops and cobblestone streets of Church Stretton, sample some of the best food and drink in the area when you visit the town of Ludlow, or tour the colonial homes throughout Whitchurch that have remained almost entirely intact. With over 15 towns and villages in the region, there's plenty to peruse during your stay in the area.
With Welsh and British architectural and cultural influences, the rural region of Shropshire offers a unique vacation experience not found anywhere else in Britain. History buffs will enjoy the castles and legendary gardens throughout the area, while nightlife enthusiasts will find no shortage of fine dining options and fun bars in every town of Shropshire.
While in Shropshire, be sure to check out these other top attractions:
- Hawkstone Historical Park: This wooded land is the setting for the Chronicles of Narnia TV show.
- The Ironbridge Gorge: The world's first iron bridge is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and home to several museums telling the story of its creation.
- Wroxeter Roman Vineyard: This is one of the most northerly vineyards in the world. During your tour sample some of the red, white and sparkling wines produced here.
- Severn Valley Railway: Britain's primary steam railway takes you through 16 miles of some of the best countryside in the United Kingdom.
- Visit the Castles: Over 32 castles can be found in the Shropshire region including the world-famous Stokesay Castle.
- Royal Airforce Museum Cosford: This museum has the largest collection of missiles found anywhere in the country.
There's bound to be a big event taking place whenever you decide to visit the region. Sample some of the best local produce and meals from restaurants throughout Shropshire at the Ludlow Food Festival in August, witness the emotional reunion of soldiers returning from war and being reunited with their families at Operation Home Front in May, or jump on one of the guided walks throughout the town trails at the Cleobury Mortimer Midsummer Walking Festival in July.
With spacious, high-end condos available in almost every town and village throughout Shropshire, there's a beautiful and comfortable vacation rental that will be perfect for your trip. Stay in the charming village of Barnstaple, rent an apartment with panoramic views of the River Severn, or pick a home near the array of museums in Ironbridge.
There's enough in Shropshire to fill even the lengthiest of vacation getaways. However, if you have some extra time in the area, you can reach the big Welsh city or Cardiff or the rolling British countryside of the West Midlands within two hours by car.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.