Featured Avon Properties
1 / 9
2 BR / 2 BA / Sleeps 8
- 3 night min
Nestled along the Eagle River in the Colorado Rockies, Avon is a small ski resort town near the famous mountains at Vail. As its loyal visitors and residents will tell you, Avon is the perfect place to have a fun winter vacation with the family or a peaceful summer getaway in the mountains. Avon is often called "the heart of the valley." This moniker is fitting, as Avon puts you close to everything in the Vail Valley, yet offers a more low-key family friendly alternative.
In the winter, snowy Avon is a great place for winter sports of every type, including cross-country and alpine skiing, snowboarding, ice-skating, and snowshoeing. While you are here, hit the slopes at nearby Beaver Creek Resort, which runs a free shuttle into Avon or play ice hockey on Avon's Nottingham Lake in the town's park. Christmas festivities can also be particularly attractive in the Vail Valley, with wonderful community activities like winter art walks and gingerbread house building.
In the summer, Avon is a great jumping off point for adventures around the Rocky Mountains. Hiking, mountain biking, and fishing in the Rockies are some of the most popular activities. Golfers also visit the area to play on one of 17 championship courses in the Vail Valley. Visit during the Fourth of July holidays to see the biggest fireworks display in the state. If you can't make it for Independence Day, check out one of Vail's numerous music and art festivals, ongoing throughout the summer months.
Here are some of Vail's top sights:
- Harry A. Nottingham Park: A hub of activity in the summer months, take a paddle boat ride, go fishing, or take a scenic stroll in this 48-acre public park.
- Avon Art Council Statues: Enjoy numerous public sculptures around town, including bronze horses in some of the town's traffic roundabouts and a grizzly family near the public library.
- Betty Ford Alpine Gardens: In the summer or winter, these natural gardens are a wonderful place to discover the native flora of the Rockies.
- Beaver Creek Resort: This mountain is just eight miles from downtown Avon and is perfect for beginners or advanced skiers.
- Vail Mountain: This mountain is often ranked the biggest and best downhill ski resort in the state of Colorado.
- Colorado Ski Museum: This museum chronicles the history of sport skiing in Colorado, and includes the Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame.
Plan your next Colorado vacation in the charming town of Avon. A cozy condo or cabin near the town's center will keep you close to the action, as well as the shuttle to the slopes. With multiple bedrooms and a common space, a vacation home is the best way to take the family to the mountains.