In the northwest corner of Cape Cod just a short drive away from Boston, you'll find Sandwich, one of the oldest towns in the United States. Not only is Sandwich a place to find excellently preserved recreations of the past, but it also offers a postcard perfect Cape Cod summer vacation destination. This is a place of warm hospitality, captivating architecture, and natural beauty.
Come here to be swept away by the old world charm of Sandwich Village, which was founded more than three hundred years ago on shipbuilding and whaling industries. Relics of these old ways of life can still be found in any of several restored house museums, which capture both the spirit and the actual household artifacts of the town's residents.
Take a hike or bike ride along the rocky shoreline trails. Drift away from shore in a sailboat or take a charter fishing trip. Explore the side streets of the historic old town, the oldest settlement in Cape Cod. Go shopping in the quaint antique stores and local art galleries. And after a day of adventures and beautiful sights, enjoy the freshest seafood you'll find anywhere in some of the world-class restaurants downtown.
Here are a few additional suggestions as you plan your trip:
- Visit the Sandwich Glass Museum: Come to this unique museum to learn more about the history of Cape Cod glass making and see some stunning examples of colorful stained glass artwork.
- See the Wing Fort House: This house was built in 1645 and is considered the oldest house in the United States continuously occupied by one family. Come to the house and hear about its fascinating history.
- Visit the Dexter Grist Mill: Take a tour of this historic and still working mill originally built in 1640. This is a great place to visit if you're traveling with children.
- Go on a whale-watching excursion: Take a chartered boat trip to see protected marine life in their natural habitat.
- Play on the beach: Swim, snorkel, explore the tide pools or just bring a good book and relax. Sandy Neck Beach is a popular, family friendly destination.
- Take an eco-tour: Rent a sea kayak and explore the rocky shores on your own, or take a tour with an experienced guide and learn more about the biodiversity of the northeast coast.
You'll never run out of fun things to do in Sandwich, and you also won't have any trouble finding a perfect place to stay. Choose a classic Cape Cod vacation rental close to your favorite activities. Book a quaint summer condo near the restaurants and museums downtown, or rent a beach house overlooking the blue ocean waters of the Cape. If your vacation schedule allows, consider taking a day trip while you're here to nearby Monument Beach or quaint Barnstable Town.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.