Grindelwald is known throughout the world for its picturesque mountain views and skiing options, but there's more than meets the eye to this charming Swiss village. With sporting and adventure options, an array of cultural attractions, and easy access to some of the big cities in Switzerland, Grindelwald has it all! Shops selling everything from high-end fashions to local souvenirs can be found along Main Street. There are also plenty of fine dining options and local attractions scattered throughout the area that can be easily reached by foot.
While you're in Grindelwald, be sure to save some time for these sites and activities:
- Heimatmuseum: This local museum shows how Grindelwald transformed from a rural mountain village into the international destination that it has become today.
- Lake Cruises: Sail Lake Thun during the day or take an evening cruise with live entertainment and exquisite dining options.
- Schilthorn Mountain Excursion: Head up to the top of the mountain where the world's first revolving restaurant at an altitude of nearly 300 meters awaits you.
- Adventure Sports: From paragliding to bungee jumping, Grindelwald has a full range of adventure sport activities.
- St. Beatus Caves: Take a full day excursion into Switzerland's only underground cave museum.
- Go skiing: A winter vacation here wouldn't be complete without spending time on the slopes at nearby mountains like Murren-Schilthorn and Kleine Scheidegg-Mannlichen.
Plan a visit in January and you'll be able to attend the most popular and unique festival in Switzerland. The World Snow Festival, a six-day event, attracts artists from all over to build massive figures and sculptures out of blocks of snow.
Grindelwald has plenty of condos available, ranging from luxury properties just steps from the slopes and all the nearby shopping and dining options, to more secluded cabins on the outskirts of the village. No matter where you want to stay, there's a vacation rental available for you whenever you decide to visit.
If you wish to explore the rest of Switzerland during your stay, head to the picturesque lake city of Basel, the Swiss metropolis of Zurich, or the historical attractions of Geneva, all located within 90 minutes by car.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.