Browse all regions in South America
About South America
Between the Andes, the amazing beaches in Brazil and the waterfalls in Argentina, there are countless outdoor activities to take part in on this continent. South America is also home to some of the most metropolitan and cosmopolitan cities in the world including Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, and Santiago. Visit for awhile and explore the continent either by bus, the primary form of transportation for getting around South America, or by a ferry called the Buquebus for trips between Argentina and Uruguay, or by plane to admire the Andes from above. When you visit South America, be sure to explore as many different countries as possible as they each have their own distinct culture and charm.
Here are a few of the must-sees in South America:
- Machu Picchu: High in the Andes of Peru, this ancient Inca city is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- The Andes: This vast mountain chain extends through several South American countries
- Buenos Aires: This capital city is widely referred to as the Paris of South America.
- Amazonia: Amazonia is one of the world's most biologically diverse areas.
- Rio de Janeiro: This Brazilian city is the second largest in South America and best known for its beach culture.
- Santiago: Santiago is the capital and economic center of Chile.
Like any continent, there are tons of events taking place on any given day. However, there are a few in particular that stand out and are known as worldwide attractions. Some of them include Carnival in Rio de Janeiro, Semana Santa in April, and the World Tango Championships in Buenos Aires every August.
Whether you want a villa or condo just steps from all the major attractions and shopping in Buenos Aires, a spacious apartment with all the creature comforts of home in Santiago, or a secluded cabin near the Andes, there's a vacation rental ready and waiting for you in this diverse and exciting continent.