Browse all regions in Argentina
Argentina is a large, sophisticated, and appealing country, located at the southernmost tip of South America. Few places can compete with the drama and diversity of Argentina's landscapes. Skiers and snowboarders will be drawn to the Andes, while hikers and mountain bikers will leap at the opportunity to travel through this mountain range's unique ecosystem. In the northern regions, Argentina's wetlands are home to some of South America's most interesting flora and fauna, as well as fascinating Incan ruins and former Jesuit monasteries. Further south, Argentina's tip is an icy paradise of mountains and glaciers, scarcely touched by humankind.
Culturally, Argentina is equally interesting. Argentina is the birthplace of the tango, and it continues to be one of Latin America's most prodigious producers of modern art, music, film, and literature. In Argentinean cities, a sophisticated populace enjoys a contemporary lifestyle, galleries, and a range of ethnic restaurants. When in Argentina, be sure to sample the country's fabulous local cuisine. Famous for its cuts of meat, Argentinean steakhouses are among the best in the world. In the afternoon, try a cup of yerba mate, the famous herbal infusion that is popular throughout South America.
If you are planning to visit Argentina, consider the following sights:
- Buenos Aires: Argentina's capital city is a lively and stylish town, filled with interesting museums, beautiful architecture, and top-notch dining and nightlife options.
- Cordoba: Take a trip to this charming mountain city to visit its wonderful museums, colonial architecture, historic sites, and relaxing cafes.
- Patagonia: The spectacular southernmost tip of South America is divided between Chile and Argentina, a land of glaciers, mountains, and icebergs.
- Lake District: In the Andes Mountains near the Chilean border, this picturesque region is dotted with alpine lakes and stunning scenery.
- Mendoza: The heart of Argentina's wine growing region, Mendoza is a wonderful place to enjoy the country's red varietals as well as outdoor adventures.
- Tierra de Fuego: One of the most fascinating destinations on earth, Tierra del Fuego is an island off the southern coast of Argentina, and the last land mass before Antarctica.
A trip to Argentina will be particularly memorable if you stay in vacation rental. In Buenos Aires, book an apartment, condo, or townhouse in the city center, where you can enjoy restaurants and nightlife along with the locals. Those heading to Patagonia may want to stay in a cabin, or a spacious villa near the wine growing region in Mendoza.