Mission Beach is a two-mile meandering stretch of southern California coastline between Belmont Park and the San Diego River Channel. This is a wonderful place to soak up the legendary San Diego sunshine and join the locals in laid-back beach fun like paddleball, volleyball and rollerblading. Access is free, parking is free, and even though the beach lies close to busy neighborhoods and popular California shopping and nightspots, it rarely seems crowded. Even during the height of the summer, it's easy to find a quiet place in the sand, relax with a good book and watch skateboarders and surfers show off their skills.
Come here to play, swim, and people watch. Relax with a glass of cold lemonade or shaved ice on the boardwalk. Search for shells along the beach or bargains in the shops a few steps away. Rent a boat and sail away from shore. After the sun sets, head in from the coast, shake off the sand, and sample some of San Diego's award winning restaurants and nightspots.
Here are a few additional suggestions as you plan your trip:
- Take a spin at Belmont Park: Ride the rides and play a few old-fashioned carnival games at this fun seaside amusement park.
- Rent a sea kayak: Rent a boat and explore the coast. Have close encounters with marine life and see the beautiful sagebrush hills of San Diego from the ocean.
- Go parasailing: Have an exhilarating adventure in the sky. Experience the long, winding coast and beautiful blue waters of southern California from a breathtaking height.
- Relax in the sand: The clean sand and easy slope of Mission Beach make it a safe and excellent place for families with small children.
- Learn to surf: Take a surfing lesson from a patient, enthusiastic instructor, and then hit the waves yourself.
- Enjoy the boardwalk and nightlife: Just a few steps away from Mission Beach you'll find some of the best seafood venues in the San Diego area. Take in the relaxed, energetic vibe of the bars, nightspots and live music venues in the area.
As you plan your vacation to Mission Beach, you won't have any trouble finding the perfect place to stay. Vacation rental opportunities are plentiful in this part of San Diego County, and you can easily book a luxury condo, villa, or elegant beach home within reach of all of your favorite activities.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.