Montepulciano is a beautiful village in a hilly area of Tuscany overlooking the Valdichiana countryside. The streets here leave a lasting impression on visitors because of their old world charm and also because of their steep inclines, which can make an adventure out of an ordinary day spent exploring markets and relaxing in cafes.
These sloping streets wind among some unforgettable restaurants and wine cellars. They can also take you to some of the most beautiful renaissance churches in Tuscany. Head beyond the center of town and take a hike through the rolling countryside of world famous vineyards and olive groves. At the end of the day, head back to experience the delicious cuisine that brings knowledgeable foodies to Montepulciano from all over the world and enjoy a glass of vino nobile as the sun sets.
Here are a few additional suggestions as you plan your trip:
- Visit the Chiesa di San Biagio: This domed renaissance church with its fantastic marble alter piece lies in a valley just to the west of the Chiesa del Gesu, another impressive work of religious architecture.
- Explore the Museo Civico: The town of Montepulciano has its own civic museum, which houses artifacts documenting its long history.
- Explore the cantinas of Montepulciano: Tuscany is known for its wine, but Montepulciano in particular has a charming community of cantinas that offer tours through cellars packed with casks followed by a unique tasting experience.
- Take a tour of the Azienda Agricola Canneto: This sprawling vineyard close to the Church of San Biagio produces regional vino nobile and extra virgin olive oil. Come to tour the grounds and learn more about how these precious items are produced.
- Take an Italian cooking class: Sample the unforgettable flavors of Tuscany at the restaurants and trattorias of Montepulciano, then take a course from a skilled chef and learn how to bring these flavors home with you.
- Visit the Formaggi Cugusi Silvana: The family that runs this artisanal pecorino cheese shop makes cheese with the milk from their own sheep that graze in the pastures of the Val d'Orcia.
You'll have no trouble finding world class dining opportunities, and you'll also have no trouble finding a vacation rental that offers luxurious views of the Tuscan countryside. Find an elegant condo downtown or a beautiful rustic villa overlooking the vineyards. While you're visiting Montepulciano, you may want to include a day trip to the beautiful town of Torrita di Siena in your plans.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.