Located just north of the U.S. border, the Canadian town of Kimberley is known for its natural beauty. The Kootenay River Valley is surrounded by lush green countryside, the vast Rocky Mountains can be seen from the eastern part of town, and local wildlife can be observed throughout the area. Throw in a wide range of festivals, great shopping, and friendly locals, and Kimberley has everything you need for an unforgettable vacation.
Your best bet for shopping is to head to Deer Park Avenue, while the best restaurants in town and local art and theater are centered along Main Street.
Be sure to make time for these other scenic and cultural attractions throughout Kimberley as well:
- Kimberley Nature Park: There are more than 100 kilometers of walking and hiking trails at this park, one of the biggest in Canada.
- The Platzl: This pedestrian shopping mall in the downtown area is also home to the largest cuckoo clock in the country.
- Centre 64: Admire art pieces from some of the best artists in British Columbia, or watch one of the live musical performances that happen regularly throughout the year.
- Kimberly Underground Mining Railway: The historic mining train gives visitors a unique perspective into the mining history of the town.
- Cominco Gardens: Built almost a century ago, the gardens are filled with local flowers native to Canada and are considered to be one of the most beautiful sites in all of Kimberley.
- Enjoy the Outdoors: From canoeing and hiking, to biking and rollerblading, there's an outdoor activity for everyone to enjoy here!
With properties in the center of town and throughout the surrounding suburbs, it's easy to find a vacation rental no matter where you want to stay. A wide range of properties are available ranging from scenic condos overlooking the ocean and mountains, to luxury homes that put you right next to all the main attractions in the area.
Don't let the small size of Kimberley fool you. The town has an impressive array of major events and festivals that take place year-round. Watch some of the best accordion players in the world at the Kimberley International Old Time Accordion Championships in July, enjoy the sporting events and festivities at Julyfest in July, or observe the international music and dance festival known as Madfest in September.
For big city charm, hop in the car and head to nearby Vancouver, or Seattle, both of which are less than two hours away.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.