Rentals Near Big Sur Attractions
Featured Big Sur Properties
About Big Sur
Some of California's most picturesque coastline can be found along the Pacific Coast Highway in Big Sur. Situated between Carmel and San Luis Obispo's northern tip, Big Sur is known for its exquisite views, lush surroundings, and redwood-filled state parks. It is also renowned for several famous writers who found inspiration here, including Henry Miller and Jack Kerouac. Outdoor enthusiasts can enjoy a number of activities including hiking, biking, rafting, whitewater kayaking, and more. Nature lovers will relish the amazing landscape as well as the gray whales that migrate here two times a year and elephant seals that bask on the sandy shoreline.
While you are in Big Sur, be sure to make time for the following:
- Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park: This park features a spectacular 80-foot waterfall, the McWay Falls, which flows from the cliffs to the ocean.
- Pfeiffer Big State Beach: This beach features dramatic rock formations, natural bridges, and massive sand dunes. There is also a nice picnic area in a wooded grove in the middle of the beach for visitors to enjoy.
- Bixby Bridge: Around 25 miles south of Carmel, this historic bridge showcases amazing views of the Pacific Ocean and is a popular spot for photographers. On the west side of Highway 1, there is a scenic pullout on the bridge's north end for visitors to stop and take in the scenery.
- The Esalen Institute: This institute features workshops and retreats throughout the year which focus on holistic treatments. It was founded in the early 1960s by Michael Murphy and Richard Price, two Stanford alumni. One of the most famous treatments to emerge from the Esalen is Fritz Perls' Gestalt Therapy.
- The Henry Miller Memorial Library: Formerly the site of Emil White's cabin, this library was created to honor his friend, writer Henry Miller. It began as a repository of Miller's work and has now expanded to include a book store and performance space.
- Old Coast Road: If scenic drives are of interest, exploring this road is a must. It offers spectacular views of the back country and the coast. During the ride, travelers will be able to see a variety of wildlife including hawks on the hunt from sky to land.
It is easy to relax within these spectacular surroundings, especially since Big Sur spas are abundant and an activity that residents and visitors both enjoy indulging in. For culture lovers, Big Sur museums are a big draw, and outdoor enthusiasts will find Big Sur camping unforgettable.
Get the most out of your trip to Big Sur by staying in a vacation rental. Big Sur offers exquisite views for everyone who heads there. A cozy cabin is a popular pick as is a beachfront condo or villa rental near the ocean.