More than anything else, the Taos Ski Valley in New Mexico's Sangre de Cristo Mountains is known for its champion caliber ski slopes. But this picturesque mountain valley offers more than just world class skiing and snowboarding slopes. During every season of the year, the Taos Ski Valley draws visitors from all over the world who come here to experience luxury relaxation and rugged natural beauty.
There are plenty of fun things to do here for all ages. Ride the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railway. Explore the sports venues and historic cemetery of Kit Carson Park. If you're up for an adventure, you can even take a llama trek into the Sangre de Cristo Mountains near Taos. Let a llama carry your gear and feel free to hike and enjoy the mountain views. You can also take a hot air balloon ride over the breathtaking desert and mountain landscapes and view the majestic beauty of the entire Taos Ski Valley from above. In the evening, head into town and experience the award winning restaurants and live music of the area's energetic nightlife.
Here are a few additional suggestions for your trip to Taos Ski Valley:
- Go skiing: The skiing and snowboarding opportunities in Taos Ski Valley are legendary. Enjoy miles of pristine powdery runs through scenic mountain areas.
- Go tubing: Tubing is also a major draw here and specific hills have been set-aside for this purpose only.
- Go boating: Head for the cool waters of the Rio Grande and go canoeing or whitewater rafting through the heart of the canyon.
- Hike the trails: Go hiking or mountain biking along the miles of scenic trail through the state and local parks here. See stunning overlooks and encounter glimpses of rare birds and wildlife.
- Go horseback riding: Saddle up and explore the backcountry trails on horseback. There are several stables here that offer trail rides and lessons for beginners.
- Go fly-fishing: During the summer, the rivers of the Taos Ski valley are perfect places to relax and cast your line all afternoon.
You'll never run out of exciting and relaxing activities in the Taos Ski Valley. If you're looking for shopping, dining, golf courses or luxury spas, you'll find them here. And you'll also have no trouble finding a perfect place to stay. Look for a vacation rental close to your favorite activities. Rent a cozy cabin with a fireplace during the ski season or an elegant lakeside condo during the summer. If your vacation schedule allows, you may want to consider taking a short trip to Taos Pueblo or nearby Eagles Nest.
Great rentals within 20 miles that match your search
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.