With a rich heritage in literature and fine arts, a wide range of shopping and dining options and extremely friendly locals, the rural British town of Ambleside has it all! Sample the art galleries along Main Street including the Beatrix Potter Gallery, author of Peter Rabbit, or, take advantage of the shopping options in the villages within Ambleside including Hawkshead and Elterwater.
Be sure to also make time for some of these must-see outdoor destinations and historical attractions in the area:
- Lake Windermere: Located one mile north of town, this lake offers a range of boating and water sports options.
- Jenkins Crag: Climb 730 feet up to the top for wonderful views of the village and surrounding hills.
- Stagshaw Garden: Nestled on a steep hillside, this garden is a particularly beautiful place in warmer months to see the azaleas and camellias in full bloom.
- Stock Ghyll Force: This 70 foot waterfall was used to power several mills in the area when Ambleside was an industrial haven.
- Rydal Mount: The home of Williams Wordsworth for the last 35 years of his life, this historical site has changed little since it was last occupied in the mid 19th century.
- Skelghyll Woods: The woods offer a number of hiking options and planned out walking trails.
A vacation rental is the preferred option for those staying in Ambleside. Book a condo in the heart of town or rent a cottage surrounded by sweeping countryside and vast hills. No matter when you decide to visit, there will likely be major events and festivals in and around Ambleside to take part in such as the Lake Artists Society Summer Exhibition.
There is a lot to do in Ambleside alone, but many visitors also like to take day trips to sample the amazing attractions that the Cumbria region has to offer. If you have some extra time to explore the area, the beautiful views in Old Hutton, the endless pastures and countryside of Keswick, and the historical attractions of Talkin can all be reached in less than an hour by car.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.