Come and explore the pine forests, ancient streets and exquisite white sand beaches of the popular Greek island of Skiathos. This is the perfect destination for a relaxing getaway, with plenty of fun things to do during both day and night.
Wander the streets of the Skiathos Town, the historic port city on the south side of the island. Then head to the north side for a scenic stroll along the high rocky coast. Look for hidden monasteries and quiet tavernas on secluded hilltops where you can sip a cool drink and enjoy the breeze from the Mediterranean Sea.
Take a boat trip to Bird Island, or visit the Papadiamandis House, one of the beautiful preserved historic structures here. After the sun goes down, watch the streets and beaches of Skiathos light up with irresistible energy. People come to Skiathos from all over the world to experience the nightlife here, and you won't want to miss out on the fun. Fabulous cuisine and intoxicating music keep visitors dancing until the sun comes up.
You'll never run out of things to do on Skiathos, but here are a few additional suggestions as you plan your trip:
- Go scuba diving: Come face to face with colorful marine life as you explore the surprising biodiversity of the reef system around Skiathos.
- Hike to Kastro: Across the island from Skiathos Town lies a hiking trail to the ruined ancient village of Kastro. Prepare to see fascinating sights along the trail including old churches, ancient gardens and a secluded beach.
- Play on Little Banana Beach: As one of the most popular beaches on Skiathos, Little Banana Beach is a great place to swim, surf, sunbathe or just relax and watch the boats go by.
- Go water skiing or wake boarding: The calm waters here are perfect for water sports of all kinds, and plenty of classes are available that are ideal for beginners.
- Take a cooking class: After you've spent a few evenings sampling the delicious local cuisine of Skiathos, learn how to bring the flavors of the Mediterranean islands home with you.
The busiest time on Skiathos is during the height of the summer months, but if you schedule your trip during the winter, you'll find quieter beaches that are just as beautiful. No matter when you visit, you'll have no trouble finding a luxurious condo in Skiathos Town. Vacation rentals and apartments are widely available in town all year long. You can also easily find a condo or elegant villa closer to the north shore. If you have some extra time to explore the area, you may want to include additional trips to Santorini and Mykonos.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.