The Northern region of Piedmont has some of the best food and drink in all of Italy. The white truffles grown in the area are compared to gold because of their cost and delicacy, while the sweet wines produced in the area are regarded as among the best in the world. If that's not enough, Piedmont also has many historical attractions and boutiques featuring fashions by big-name designers. With eight provinces and well over a dozen big cities in the region, there's an abundance of nightlife, shopping and dining options right at your fingertips.
Here are some of the must-see attractions and destinations in the area:
- Turin: This large city is known as the first true capital of Modern Italy and also hosted the 2006 Winter Olympics.
- Bardonecchia: This small mountain town is known for having some of the best skiing in the region.
- Candelo: This fortified 18th century village is full of historic old buildings that have remained almost entirely intact.
- Lake Maggiore: Covering over 90 miles in length and extending out into Switzerland, this lake is perfect for fishing or canoeing.
- Alba: Known for its great wineries throughout the area, Alba is also the birthplace of Nutella chocolate spread.
- Acqui Terme: Take a dip in the ancient baths or visit the hot sulfur spring of this beautiful Roman town.
With well over four million people inhabiting the area, there are a number of events taking place throughout the region almost every day. Head to the classically Italian donkey races in the village of Premosello during the month of August, celebrate the harvesting of the grapes with an elaborate festival in Castagnole Monferrato in October, or look at the over-the-top costumes and floats in the street parade known as Carnival in the town of Asti during the month of February.
A vacation rental is the preferred option for those staying in Piedmont. With condos available in almost every town and city from Turin to Biella, there is a property available that will put you exactly where you want to be in this historic Italian region.
If you have some extra time to explore the surrounding area, the international fashion capital of Milan, the picturesque fishing villages of Cinque Terre, and the historical city of Bologna can all be reached within 90 minutes by car.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.