Featured Black Mountain Properties
1 / 27
Black Mountain cottage
3 BR / 2 BA / Sleeps 7
Black Mountain cottage
- Min stay varies
About Black Mountain
Come to Black Mountain, North Carolina for a classic vacation in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Often called North Carolina's Front Porch, Black Mountain and the neighboring towns of Montreat and Swannanoa welcome visitors with friendly Appalachian hospitality, breathtaking vistas, mirror lakes and crystal clear mountain waterfalls.
If you're like many of the visitors who come here every year, you'll want to put on your hiking shoes and head into the wilderness. Explore the vast green mountain landscape that extends for miles in every direction around Montreat and Ridgecrest. Hike, bike, or go horseback riding to stunning overlooks and mountain peaks shrouded in rolling mist. Witness some of the most dramatic views along the Appalachian range and spot elusive wildlife species like black bear, red foxes and otters.
Black Mountain is also the home of Chimney Rock Park, a vital stop on the iconic American road trip. Go rock climbing near Grandfather Mountain, take a rafting trip down the Nantahala River, or just spend an afternoon in total relaxation at a luxury spa or playing a round of golf on the public course. And at the end of the day, enjoy the award winning restaurants downtown.
Here are a few additional suggestions as you plan your trip:
- Take a walk around Lake Tomahawk: Take a sunset walk around this popular lake in the town's central park.
- Hike the trails: Try a short hike to Lookout Point or spend the whole day on a strenuous trek across the Seven Sisters mountain range.
- Come for the Ultra Marathon: Visit Black Mountain to run or just cheer on the participants. The marathon happens every February and extends from Lake Tomahawk all the way up Mt. Mitchell.
- Go shopping: Stroll the many upscale galleries and Appalachian style craft stores in Black Mountain and charming historic Montreat.
- Visit the Folk Art Center and the Local Craft Guild: Local craftsmen in Black Mountain specialize in ironwork, bowl turning and pottery throwing.
- Take a drive along the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway: Stop at the beautiful Craggy Gardens, see the summit of Mt. Mitchell, the tallest peak in the eastern US, and look south along the parkway to see Cold Mountain, made famous in the book by Charles Frazier.
You'll never run out of fun activities and beautiful things to see here. Luckily, finding a vacation rental in Black Mountain is easy, no matter what time of year you visit. Book a cozy cabin, a lakeside villa, or a condo close to the center of town with access to dining, shopping and all the comforts of home.