The beach of Playa Grande in Costa Rica is one of the premier nesting areas for leatherback sea turtles. Year after year, turtles follow an ancient call and come ashore to lay their clutches of eggs in the soft sand here. But, Playa Grande is not only a beautiful natural preserve and a place to witness an inspiring eternal ritual. It's also a place to surf. The waves on the protected beach of Playa Grande are world renowned for their height and ferocity, especially when the wind is strong and the tide is high. Surfers are drawn here from all over the world to face the challenge.
Here are some additional suggestions for things to do during your visit to Playa Grande:
- Hike the trails: Explore the trails of the Parque Nacional Marino Las Baulas. Learn more about the fragile estuarial ecosystems here and see glimpses of elusive birds and native wildlife.
- Take a sailing excursion: Charter sailboat trips are easy to reserve here and this is a great way to see dolphins, go sport fishing, and watch breathtaking sunsets.
- Go scuba diving or snorkeling: The reefs around the protected Las Baulas National Marine Park are stunning places to interact with color fish, turtles and a variety of undersea life.
- Enjoy the nightlife in Tamarindo: Just across the bay, the bars and restaurants in Tamarindo are world class and provide a perfect ambiance for meeting new people or reconnecting with your own traveling companions.
- Play on the beach: Nearby Tamarindo also offers perfect beaches of sugary sand and blue waves where you can swim, go parasailing, rent a sea kayak or just bask in the golden sun and relax.
- Take a surf lesson: If you aren't a professional surfer yet but you'd like to give it a try, there are plenty of outfits here than can help you get started.
It's easy to find a vacation rental for whenever you decide to visit Playa Grande. Rent a condo, villa or vacation home on the occupied side of the mangrove bogs, and then take a boat across during the day in order to explore the nature preserve and protected sea turtle habitats.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.