Come to the beautiful town of Makena to go snorkeling, go hiking, or just soak up the rays on the sandy white beaches. Makena, Hawaii is the perfect vacation destination and will leave you feeling healthy and refreshed. Head to the outdoor shopping mecca known as Wailea Shopping Mall, enjoy fine dining at one of the many restaurants scattered along East and West Main Street, or just relax and enjoy the weather.
While you're in Makena, be sure to make time for some of these must-see attractions and activities:
- Makena State Park: With over 165 acres of hiking trails, beaches and beautiful scenery, this park is a great place to bring the whole family for a relaxing afternoon or an outdoor adventure.
- Go to the Beach: Oneloa Beach and Puu Oloi Beach are just two of the most popular beaches in the area.
- Ahihi-Kinau Natural Area Reserve: This 2000-acre preserved habitat features a vast array of wildlife, in addition to a local fishing village and several options for snorkeling.
- Go Kayaking: Take a guided tour that will bring you to the coastal reefs, caves and a few of the local islands.
- Play Tennis: Take a lesson or rent a court at the Wailea Tennis Club, voted by Tennis Magazine as a top tennis facility in the state.
- Farmers Market: Head here for a variety of delicious and healthy locally grown food including macadamia nuts, Maui onions and pineapples, and homemade guacamole.
No matter what time of year you visit there is something exciting going on in Makena. Sample hundreds of local flowers and plants at the Haiku Ho'olaule'a and Flower Festival in March, watch movies from the best Hawaiian filmmakers at the Maui Film Festival in June, or go on a whale watching tour during the Whale Day celebration in February.
With properties ranging from luxury condos just steps from the beach, to apartments with ocean views right out your window, there's a vacation rental available in Makena that will meet your every need.
Most visitors traveling to Makena are content to spend their time enjoying the outdoor attractions the town has to offer, but you can also use Makena as a base to explore the rest of Maui. Within a two hour drive, you can reach anywhere on the island!
Great rentals within 20 miles that match your search
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.